When Did Domestic Copper Pipe Change To Metric?

In my trade too, things started becoming metric. Only things that have remained imperial though are man made timber boards. Plywood, contiboard etc. Reason being is that the biggest market for these is the Americans.
When putting door frames etc in, I still put them in to imperial sizes, unless told otherwise. It's a whole lot easier to buy imperial doors than it is metric. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
The Germans french Italians and Spanish where all standardised on 1/2 3/4 etc BSP in 1971 and we tried to get them to go metric
15mm and 22mm where our attempt to get them to go metric so now we are completely at odds with all of them
I use a great deal of 1 and 1 1/4 inch cast iron pipe and this is still the metric standard
Most European plumbers are shocked when you tell them that BSP stands for British standard pipe which is based on imperial measurements
Because when they talk about pipes they refer to the outer bore sizes so they never notice that the inner bore is exactly one inch

Sponsored Links
On a slight tangent, having been a PCB guy for 20 years, I have found that these days many came to training session using metric numbers to define track widths etc. (some have never heard of thou.)
Often getting mixed up, missing decimal points because they are working at fine widths.
Yet these widths they use are generally just the metric equivalent of thou (thousands of an inch).
Where I would use tracks down to 3 thou (an easy enough number to remmeber and with thousands of tracks, hundreds of design rules etc. to remember, the simpler the better) and they would have to go for the metric equivalent of 0.0762mm - bugger remembering that for a game of soldiers.. lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back