Copper Tube Diameters, Imperial to Metric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Trying to find out approx when copper tube went metric, the reason for asking this, I have to change an original stopcock on a property and did not know if the soft copper main coming in leading up to the stopcock would be the old half inch or 15mm.

The property is about the sixties.

Just trying to be best prepared !

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Early sixties, it varied. Well before I was born of course.
It doesn't really matter, 1/2" is very slightly bigger than 15mm but if you rub it with emery paper/cloth for a while it'll go into a 15mm olive, if it didn't as-cut.

Early sixties, it varied. Well before I was born of course.
It doesn't really matter, 1/2" is very slightly bigger than 15mm but if you rub it with emery paper/cloth for a while it'll go into a 15mm olive, if it didn't as-cut.

Thanks for that, I do recall that this is possible now, also would you happen to know the size of the square water board stopcock keys, is it half inch or three quarter, also if they are available to purchase and if so where?

Thanks

The valve key could be either depending on what was used :evil:

99% will be a crutch head and available from BSS and any good heavyside merchants

Sponsored Links
funny thing.... perhaps you could shine a light on this Chris, 20 thread? :LOL:

came across it about 3ys ago, approx 1" dia wall thickness about 1/8"
just looked and found a piece in the garage (thought it could be handy as a drift)
anyway wondered what that was all about :rolleyes:

Round my way they're all square ones. I bought a universal key. If you can reach it a 12 point socket from a socket set will turn them ;)

funny thing.... perhaps you could shine a light on this Chris, 20 thread? :LOL:

came across it about 3ys ago, approx 1" dia wall thickness about 1/8"
just looked and found a piece in the garage (thought it could be handy as a drift)
anyway wondered what that was all about :rolleyes:

If you are using compression fittings it should be be flared so it will not make any difference!!

If you are soldering it adaptors are availlable (or emery)!!

Round my way they're all square ones. I bought a universal key. If you can reach it a 12 point socket from a socket set will turn them ;)

Yes, this is square, just was not sure if it was half inch or bigger!

approx 2 feet deep, would need a couple of extensions to use a socket set

Now if Invisible-man lived in the Tendring area of Essex once covered by Clacton Water then they used a round headed main valve with a slot top to bottom just to be different.

Hi,

Trying to find out approx when copper tube went metric

I used to have a copy of the first BS for metric tube, ISTR it was dated 1970; I think that's when the change-over took place.

It is metric tube (size is OD), but it is Imperial pipe (size is ID).

You can still buy Imperial pipe, mostly used for AC 'cos many of the fittings are made in the US. BES supply it.

Metric 15mm fittings will usually fit 1/2" pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back