Copper Tube Diameters, Imperial to Metric

20 thread? came across it about 3ys ago, approx 1" dia wall thickness about 1/8"
Wasn't that a waste pipe? Fits nothing else!

Sponsored Links
20mm is the new size for 3/4" bsp steel pipe and threads.

I've got a few old 1/2" and 3/4" compression fittings rattling around in the bottom of the scrap box that used British Standard Brass (BSB) threads instead of BSP threads.

IIRC the BSB thread used the same thread pitch (26 TPI, Whitworth form) for every size of fitting. They still turn up occasionally, just to catch the unwary.

Sponsored Links
Ah, you poor young striplings, 20 thread, and indeed BSP, were the standards when plumbers were men, had five-year indentured apprectiships, and spent the majority of their working lives pulling or pushing at something highly intractable.

Twenty thread was used for 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch copper installations (and possibly larger). The wall thickness was considerable, and the pipe ends were tapped with a thread of 20 pitches per inch. I can't remember much else but no doubt it's in some of my old papers.

With a tripod vise you, or the poor apprentice, would struggle with a set of dies to cut the thread which was then fastened to a screwed fitting with Bosss White and hemp. In the early days the fittings were pressed out and after a year or two reverted to their original constituents, so they often snapped in two when any attempt was made to unscrew the pipe. Later sand-cast fittings were far better.

Of course heating pipework was mainly in steel with a coarse BSP thread. If anyone has struggled outside in freezing weather with a set of dies heavier than himself trying to cut a thread on 1" steel that froze to the hands in that accursed vise then they know what I'm talking about. Worse was a running connection, where you had to tap a thread several inches on the pipe. A locknut and socket were threaded all the way onto the pipe, then the pipe was put into position and the socket screwed into place with the locknut completing the joint.

I've done all this and I'm glad it's over. It was far worse for my father as he had to push the truck all the way to the job and back again, then do all this.

Talking of threaded copper, a pic for the newbies that will probably never ever see any :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Threadedcopper002.jpg

Threadedcopper001.jpg

Brings tears to my eyes. That's proper copper, that is. By the way, newbies probably means anyone under the age of 60.

The invisible-man wrote

Trying to find out approx when copper tube went metric

If you're ever over in southern Ireland plumbing you will notice that the change over never took place. :eek:

Brings tears to my eyes. That's proper copper, that is. By the way, newbies probably means anyone under the age of 60.

It would if you tried to bend it over the knee :LOL: it's the same thickness as steel tube :rolleyes:

We need to start a new forum for the over 60s who used to thread their copper pipe!

Although I thought I was quite well versed in older threads I dont remember seeing or hearing of "20s" before.

Tony

We need to start a new forum for the over 60s who used to thread their copper pipe!

Although I thought I was quite well versed in older threads I dont remember seeing or hearing of "20s" before.

Tony

You would just squeeze in then Tony :evil:

I have never threaded copper pipe and have only been doing boiler repairs since 1998 when I left the BBC Engineering after the Transmission part was sold off !

Tony

Ah, you poor young striplings, 20 thread, and indeed BSP, were the standards when plumbers were men, had five-year indentured apprectiships, and spent the majority of their working lives pulling or pushing at something highly intractable.

Twenty thread was used for 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch copper installations (and possibly larger). The wall thickness was considerable, and the pipe ends were tapped with a thread of 20 pitches per inch. I can't remember much else but no doubt it's in some of my old papers.

With a tripod vise you, or the poor apprentice, would struggle with a set of dies to cut the thread which was then fastened to a screwed fitting with Bosss White and hemp. In the early days the fittings were pressed out and after a year or two reverted to their original constituents, so they often snapped in two when any attempt was made to unscrew the pipe. Later sand-cast fittings were far better.

Of course heating pipework was mainly in steel with a coarse BSP thread. If anyone has struggled outside in freezing weather with a set of dies heavier than himself trying to cut a thread on 1" steel that froze to the hands in that accursed vise then they know what I'm talking about. Worse was a running connection, where you had to tap a thread several inches on the pipe. A locknut and socket were threaded all the way onto the pipe, then the pipe was put into position and the socket screwed into place with the locknut completing the joint.

I've done all this and I'm glad it's over. It was far worse for my father as he had to push the truck all the way to the job and back again, then do all this.

thankyou sir I'd not encountered it
wow this stuff is so heavy pikies would have a field day :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back