When is a competent persons scheme electrician required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I usually use someone who is a member of one of the schemes when i have some work like consumer unit/kitchen/bathrrom electrics - notifiable stuff.

However, I often have smaller work like:
- Replacing lighswicthes
- Installing dimmers
- Rcd tripping

Do I need to use a competent scheme electrician for these things or can I use an electrician who is not a member of these schemes?

I find the whole non scheme qualified vs competent scheme and the requirements very unclear!

Sponsored Links
Well you do want an electrician that is competent, that does not mean they need to be registered with a scheme provider. Even if the work is notifiable an unregistered (with a CPS) electrician can be used.
Just the process of notification is different as a CPS can self notify, where an unregistered one requires building control notification.

Notification is only required for consumer unit installations, new circuits and work within the zones of a bathroom/shower room/wet room.

Almost any other electrical work than the above are not notifiable.
So you do not have to go through the notification process for extending/altering existing circuits or replacing electrical equipment/accessories.
So any electrician can do this type of work registered or unregistered (CPS).

What you must do, is get an electrician that has the knowledge and is able to inspect/test and certificate the work. Certificates are different to notification, all electrical work should really have a certificate issued with it, where it involves alterations or repairs to circuits. Although I would expect that replacing/swapping face plates or faulty components (unless a protective device) and solving tripping issues, would rarely see even a minor works cert being issued.

Last edited:
... Even if the work is notifiable an unregistered (with a CPS) electrician can be used. Just the process of notification is different as a CPS can self notify, where an unregistered one requires building control notification.
Indeed. Just to clarify for the OP, in the case of notifiable work, the essential difference between those two approaches is financial ...

If the electrician who does notifiable work is a member of a self-certification scheme ('CPS') he or she can 'self-notify' for a cost of just a few pounds. However, if they cannot self-notify, the fee for notification to the Local Authority's Building Control can often be two or three hundred pounds, sometimes even more (varies between LAs).

The financial difference may, in practice, not be quite as much as you would expect. An electrician has to pay an appreciable annual subscription to be on the CPS register, and that may be reflected in their charging a little more for their time than an electrician who is not a member of a CPS.

However, as PBoD has said, and as you probably already know, since 2013 very little has remained notifiable (in England; Wales is different).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks guys. Just a follow up - you said all work should come with a certificate - is there a standard certificate or form it should take? Or is it what the electrician decides?

I'm starting to think just to go with a scheme member to be sure!

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. Just a follow up - you said all work should come with a certificate - is there a standard certificate or form it should take? Or is it what the electrician decides?
Most electricians, whether Scheme Members or not, will use the specimen forms included in the Wiring Regulations (BS7671) - either an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) or, for more minor things, a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (MEIWC). Scheme Members may well be required by their Scheme operator to always use such forms. Non-Scheme Members are not compelled to use those forms, but I imagine that virtually all of them probably do.

Kind Regards, John

They are two standard types of certificates, and although there are several different designs, they all carry the same basic information depending on the type of certificate. The two type are (a) Electrical Installation Certificate, used for more major work which will often be notifiable, and (b) the Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate used for simpler work (some of which may still be notifiable, eg. work within the zones in a bathroom). The electrician should know which is appropriate.

You can see the model forms here: http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-regulations/forms/2015-amd3-forms.cfm?type=pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back