Which Certification scheme?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a gas fitter who just took the EAL level 2 qualification, and I have my Megger multifunction tester as of today.

Now I'm ready to join a scheme.

I have the info from NICEIC £399 every year, but I get £100 worth of books in with the price.

Is anyone aware of any competing schemes or do I just go with nic?

Just to pre-empt Yes I know corgi do a scheme, it's limited in scope at the moment and may not survive over time.

Oh and the only reason I have had to equip myself rather than use one of you good fellows is to get timely closure on my jobs and be payed, rather than having to coordinate and wait for a suitably qualified person to carry out the elctrical element of my work.

Sponsored Links
i'd say just go for whatever scheme is cheapest, it doesn't sound like you need the name recognition of any particular one

Paul Barker said:
Oh and the only reason I have had to equip myself rather than use one of you good fellows is to get timely closure on my jobs and be payed, rather than having to coordinate and wait for a suitably qualified person to carry out the elctrical element of my work.
Remind me again what the options are for kitchen fitters and electricians regarding gas hobs?

Sponsored Links
use a corgi registered gas installer
become a corgi registered gas installer
break the law

just how hard is it to become corgi registered anyway? easier or harder than part P registration?

Hi Plugwash, thanks for the response.

I found the eal course quite easy compared to the kitchen fitters who were training at the same time. For me it was Similar short term memory abilities and tic box against the clock mentality as gas training.

Where people fail with corgi is they don't comit enough to memory so run out of time.

I imagine the full 16th ed and full inspection and testing is equally hard as acs. The eal level 2 course isn't, but as I said the kitchen fitters really struggled.

The problem these days for people wanting to get corgi registered is the on the job training.

Prices vary around the country but as an example my trainee is booked acs training and assesment after he has sufficient on the job training (minimum 6 months). It cost £1,700 and lasts for 5 years. To get his own registration he then has to pay corgi something like a further £350.

I think it would be much better to have anual refreshers rather than the 5 yearly massive expense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back