Self certification scheme

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of "Going Alone" after working for a building contractor for some years now.
I am considering the various schemes and have spoken to NIC, NAPIT and CORGI so far.
Now, whilst NIC and NAPIT require you to use local building control to certify initial notifiable jobs, before they send out an assessor.
CORGI allow you to self certify from the outset, as long al you have met all pre-requisites, subsequently sending out their assessor in due corse.
As my local BCO charges £250 for each part P certificate. CORGI seem the ideal choice to start off with.
Is there any CORGI scheme electricians out there that can confirm this?

Sponsored Links
Is there any CORGI scheme electricians out there that can confirm this?
Unlikely. Lets face it, who would go to Corgi for electrical? Could there be a more confusing message?
They used to only do defined scope anyway.

Other than the top 3 (NICEIC, ELECSA and NAPIT in that order), the rest are just a waste of time with virtually no members.

What does CORGI stand for now that they've lost the gas scheme?

And when you think how widely known was the BSI, and how widely recognised was the Kitemark, just how incompetent were they not to have become the largest scheme...

Sponsored Links
What I was thinking, was to use the CORGI Scheme to self certify my first couple of jobs.
Thats £350 membership as opposed to spending £500 for 2 x BCO inspections.
Then apply to another scheme, allow them to visit these jobs, then change scheme?

Isn't that going to cost you £350 more than just applying to the other scheme in the first place?

Elecsa will let you use your first job as the assessment and then, if you pass, you can certify it - used to, I suppose they still do.

Sorry Ban, if you don't understand me.
Going the CORGI route, apparently, you self certify as soon as you join the scheme, so there is no need to pay BCO £250 per inspection. CORGI will inspect two installations that have been self certified.
So it works out £500 cheaper, at least.

EFL, I will check out Elecsa and BSI to compare as well.

Sorry Ban, if you don't understand me.
Going the CORGI route, apparently, you self certify as soon as you join the scheme, so there is no need to pay BCO £250 per inspection.
You're right about me not understanding you.

You can self-certify as soon as you join any scheme...

Looking on Corgi Website, they do state you can self cert straight away.
I find this strange, I am not aware of any scheme that will allow this?
Not all scheme providers will allow this and not all local building controls will allow you to go head with work that has not been notified, even if it is to be used as evidence/proof of compliance to your scheme provider.

Elecsa will let you use your first job as the assessment and then, if you pass, you can certify it - used to, I suppose they still do.
Elesca will let you use any job you do for assessment, providing the evidence provided is substantial electrical work ie rewire or CU change.
It could well depend on your local building controls office whether they will allow this work to used as evidence without being notified and fees paid.
My first assessment, I informed BCs that the work was for an assessment, but still needed to notify and pay fee.

Wicksygas
I do understand where you are coming from and I can see the benefits of the Corgi scheme, that's if the allow self cert right from joining, as it can take about 2 months for an assessment day/half day to be arranged, and if you are having to fork out for notification fees during that time, it could be quite costly. I know you can add it on to customers bills but then you could be getting priced out of the work.
There is also another company offering a scheme to "Stroma"
http://www.stroma.com/cps/cpsfees

Ban - According to NIC and NAPIT, not untill you have recieved the on site assment.

PBD, Thank you, I'll check them out also.

Ban - According to NIC and NAPIT, not untill you have recieved the on site assment.

PBD, Thank you, I'll check them out also.
Sorry - my turn to be unclear.

I regard "joining" as becoming registered, not just filling in the application form and sending off a cheque.

Can't believe that Corgi operate like that - no wonder they lost the gas registration scheme if that's their attitude. What happens if you fail the assessment but they've already processed your notifications and customers have got worthless certificates in their hands?

Sorry - my turn to be unclear.

I regard "joining" as becoming registered, not just filling in the application form and sending off a cheque.

Can't believe that Corgi operate like that - no wonder they lost the gas registration scheme if that's their attitude. What happens if you fail the assessment but they've already processed your notifications and customers have got worthless certificates in their hands?

Neither can I, I bet that is not how it really works!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back