Self certification scheme

As someone who can self-certify, do you need to inform either Building Control or your scheme provider prior to carrying out the work?
As I presume you would if you were not registered to self-certify.

Sponsored Links
No, you just notify your scheme when the job is done (within a time limit) then they inform BC and send compliance certificate to client.

You give client EIC etc. on completion of job, of course.

Edit - highlighted

Thanks again.
So the BCO would have no idea if the installer had been assessed for competence or not!!

Thanks again.
So the BCO would have no idea if the installer had been assessed for competence or not!!
Yes they would, because it's your scheme provider who informs BCs, the documents you send to scheme provider will have your name on it.
You normally have 30 days after completion to inform scheme provider.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again.
No.

They trust the scheme organisers to verify people's competence before allowing them to join their register and begin self-certifying.

If what you say is true, that is a sadly misplaced trust in the case of Corgi.

Can't believe that Corgi operate like that - no wonder they lost the gas registration scheme if that's their attitude. What happens if you fail the assessment but they've already processed your notifications and customers have got worthless certificates in their hands?

That is a surprise to me too. There is enough confusion about the self certification scheme without that and as you say what happens if you sign off several jobs then fail the assessment? No wonder there is so much confusion and condemnation of the entire self certifications system!!

What I was thinking, was to use the CORGI Scheme to self certify my first couple of jobs.
Thats £350 membership as opposed to spending £500 for 2 x BCO inspections.
Then apply to another scheme, allow them to visit these jobs, then change scheme?

If you are going to run a business then you need to do it right, not cheap and I am not being rude. If you want electrical business then you need to join a "well known" scheme. Technically any scheme will do but you won't get much electrical business under a Corgi heading. Most estate agents, local authorities etc, etc tend to (for better or worse - right or wrong) go for the most well known three (NIC, ELECSA, NAPIT) and that should tell you how much Corgi don't do to promote their electrical scheme!!

Agreed. For some reason NAPIT have a Plumbing, Heating and Ventilation scheme.

Just looked at the discussion forum to give an indication of activity

Electrical (General Discussion) forum = 475 topics
Plumbing, Heating and Ventilation (General Discussion) forum = 1 topic

I wonder why they bother :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back