When is a trench fill foundation not a trench fill foundation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of there's an actual measurement of thickness that can be classed as trenchfill? I like the option to be able to build the walls not in the centre of the trench if I have to and assume trenchfill still allows you to do that? BCO has asked to dig 1 metre deep. I would aim to finish 3 courses of bricks below ground level in case I need to split a course of bricks to get it level. And if the ready-mix delivery leaves us a bit low is there a point below which I'll have a problem? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Trenchfill is a made up word with no definition.

There are concrete strip foundations, and deep strip foundations.

You seem to want eccentricly strip loaded foundations, and yes thickness would be a factor, as will concrete mix strength, the amount of load, the type of wall, and the closeness to the edge of the strip.

Trenchfill is a made up word with no definition.

There are concrete strip foundations, and deep strip foundations.

You seem to want eccentricly strip loaded foundations, and yes thickness would be a factor, as will concrete mix strength, the amount of load, the type of wall, and the closeness to the edge of the strip.

So I think the engineers comments were 600mm wide. Depth to be agreed with officer/inspector. Go down an extra 500mm if there's any roots bigger than 2 inch thick.
Sounds like I better just dig them the agreed depth and width. Get the BCO in and ask him how thick to pour them.

Yes a 600mm width trench is pretty standard for a domestic cavity wall. and 1000mm deep is typical too.

There are standard tables that inspectors use for foundations near to influencing roots, and the depth of the trench in such locations will depend on the species of tree or hedge. Its not really related to the thickness of any root you may find! So don't be digging an extra 50% on a whim.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I looked the trees up previously. Using one of those apps that identify plants etc from a photo of the leaves. Luckily the closest one is in group 3 or c (whichever). Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back