when is a woodchip ceiling not a woodchip ceiling? When....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...it is an Artex ceiling.
AAArggh! :mad:

To be fair 2 of the ceilings to be addressed are woodchip and being stripped tomorrow.
The hallway I saw today is actually Artex.
Most of it is fairly sturdy but there one area which seems to be coming a little loose which will need removal or repair prior to the whole lot being skimmed.

This is going to get messy and expensive! (so I guess even more glad I am addressing now not after all the rest of the redecoration is done) :cry:

Will ask the builder to have a look when he comes to do the skimming to decide if the whole lot (in the hallway) will need to be pulled (I really hope not!!) or if he will affect some sort of repair or boarding and then skim

Sponsored Links
Very often on artex the bits sticking out can be scraped off then skimmed over. Likewise with loose areas. Not the case everytime though.

Thanks - will give it a go.
My fear is the whole area under the landing as there is about 1m at the edge near the stairs (free edge) that seems to have slightly pulled away from the ceiling itself

Wear a mask. I believe some types of artex can't be skimmed over, so seek advice first.

Sponsored Links
I have a handyman in doing the woodchip stripping and he did a test scrape and some of the pointy bits did scrape off ok.
mask provided.

Be carefull with ... ARTEX...?.
If your building was built before 1970 and the coating was applied at the same time its likely it contains... ASBESTOS FIBRES... which gave it strength when applied.. DO NOT SAND or SCRAPE.
If built 70s/80s less likely, after 1984 very unlikely. Check out the web site..... Asbestosadvisor.net...... G.L:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back