When replacing original sash windows, how much is removed?

Maybe I found a cheaper alternative, not sure if someone here gave a link or I searched but the one I was looking at you affix magnetic clips on the frame and then they have some special plastic (polycarbonate or similar).
I think I'd be somewhat nervous of a single pane of glass but I imagine they must have thought of that. Do you have a recommendation for a site/brand?

Interestingly, the 'clip on' approach is very similar to something we were thinking of doing as a way to introduce mesh bug-screens for our bedroom window. An inner frame we can remove outside the summer and store in the loft.

Sponsored Links
I don't have recommendations. I did some Googling when I was looking at secondary glazing for my house (for traffic noise), you could do the same.

I'm not sure why you'd be nervous of a single pane of glass, when your windows are single panes of glass ;)

if you've not been in the house for long, I'd still be inclined to live with what you have for a while, and see how you get on.

My window is 2x2, almost 1mx2m. I was under the impression secondary glazing tried to fit a single pane inside the whole window or at least one per sash, so those are some big panes!

Sponsored Links
Your quoted cost of £75 per unit - was that for the glass alone or the cost including the work to re-balance and draught-proof them?

That was a figure for budgetting only, i.e. it's very approximate and the costs you mention are within its margin of error.

That's not too bad then... one of these sites was suggesting you should be budgeting ~a grand per window to get such units fitted!

That's not too bad then... one of these sites was suggesting you should be budgeting ~a grand per window to get such units fitted!

If you 6-over-6 Georgian windows then £75 per unit is about a grand per window....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back