WHEN TO PAINT?

D

DAJ

Hi. I've just (about a week ago) finished rendering a roof terrace wall (9" x 9" Celcon blocks). Scrathed then finished with 4 x soft to 1 x dust (with waterpoofer).

I now wish to paint the wall with a quality coating, like Dulux Weathersheild.

Some people have said wait till next year because the render will not be ready for painting for 6 to 8 weeks and by then it'll be too cold. On the other hand, some people have suggested that as soon as the render is dry (7 to 10 days) it may be painted. Some have said stableise first now, some stableise next year. Never use a stabelizer, always use a stabelizer. Thin down the first coat, no need to thin the first coat. Some have said oil based, others water...

HELP!

1) Can I paint now (to protect against the winter months)?
2) What with?
3) What are the implications should I paint now when I shouldn't?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you rush it it will peel. I'd leave it personally until the spring.

• Thanks
Reactions: DAJ
Bit confused over this as we have just had the area under our front bay window re-pebbledashed (front of house is pebbledashed with quite large stones and painted white - house is 100 years old).

I told the guy who did the rendering that we are getting the whole house painted but maybe not until next spring, he said that we should get a coat of paint on the new rendered area within the next month.

Not sure which way to play it now.

Sponsored Links
render needs at least 4 weeks to cure before you paint it. i prefer to leave it for 6 where possible depending on weather, but i'll not let a painter near it within 4.

if you don't have the weather on your side by then you should wait until spring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back