When to replace my boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is 13 years old and is an Ideal Classic. Its a little noisy but I've identified the fan as the cause but other than that it seems to work fine.

I have a little spare money and wondered if replacing this boiler would save me any money in the long run or should I just wait until it dies. One thing I do wonder about is the size of the boiler compared to the size of the house. We had this same boiler in our old house which had 10 rads yet this house is twice as big with 16 rads.

If I do decide to replace it what make are currently considered most reliable and efficient?
Ive seen Ideal Logic plus mentioned on another Forum and also Worcester Bosch.

Thanks

Deano

Sponsored Links
The classic is a good boiler. Fan is an easy fix relatively cheap fix and the boiler will last many more years.
A new boiler won't make up the difference in savings compared to the cost of install.

Sponsored Links
If the house is warm enough it's likely that the boiler is large enough. The boiler in your old property could well have been over sized. I agree with the above comments don't waste money on a new boiler if the only issue with yours is the fan. I don't think there's enough payback in swapping a working boiler for a condensing one. I also don't think that it is particularly environmentally friendly to take out a still working boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back