When to replace the boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved house in January. When I had the survey done, I was told that the boiler (Apollo Fanfare 30/50S) was very old and would need replacing soon. The house is 18 years old so it is possibly the original boiler.

My question is: should I get the job done now or wait until it has broken down and can't be fixed?

I have been quoted about £2k for a replacement (Ideal Icos). I know that modern boilers are more efficient and use less gas but it will take about 20 years in savings to pay for the new boiler (bit like double glazing!)

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Think I would leave it till it broke. The chances are you will be decorating/renovating, just make sure you do it before you have new paintwork etc.

Bet your life its going to break Christmas morning which will be a freezer this year. Me, I would change it now and be done with it.

It might be sheaper to replace next Summer.
Last person I advised of that, moaned at me midwinter when it sprung a leak and had to go.

Sponsored Links
For 2k i would expect a better boiler than an Icos troublesome at best, you should get worcester boiler for that amount much more reliable.

Normally I say 'run em into the ground'. Apollo fanfares don't always come under 'normally' in my book.

If I was stood in front of it I would use my ears to help me decide. The noisier it was in operation the sooner I would want to renew it.

After that in your situation I would probably be tempted buy a couple of cheap electric fires now just incase and keep my fingers crossed for the winter.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK AN ICOSSSSSSSSSSS

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as has been said if you want to change it, its your call

I'll go to my sisters in Brighton for Christmas shall I put a decent boiler in the boot so if it does break on Christmas day just ring Christine and I'll be glad to get away from that horrible period when you are all crammed in together for a couple of days with all these strangers you're normally too busy to notice rest of the year, and it turns out have a high tendancy to have a go at you when they have to look at you for more than the quick half hour before bed, if they're still awaik at all when you get in.

ON a serious note, get the disruption done now. Have the electrics sorted out at the same time.

Bear in mind changing a boiler now involves a lot of work, there are no simple jobs that just take 3 hours any longer, unless you employ the services of a cowboy or bodge it yourself.

If you want to support the philosphy of the outgoing government you have to pay one of us twice as much as you would have had to two years ago to do things right, but we'll actually work four times as hard as we had to then, so you get a bargain, and all the extra money we make will just be a contribution to the enormous fixed costs and overhead leggacy Neo wonderful labour has left us.

If you want to support the philosphy of the outgoing government you have to pay one of us twice as much as you would have had to two years ago to do things right, but we'll actually work four times as hard as we had to then, so you get a bargain, and all the extra money we make will just be a contribution to the enormous fixed costs and overhead leggacy Neo wonderful labour has left us.
If you decide to take up politics you can have my vote but only if I become conformist and put my name on the electoral roll.

Thanks for all the comments, which are split about 50-50 between change now or later. I think I will hope for the best and wait until next year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back