When to replace / repair ridge tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I need a bit of advice from the experts please.

I'm having a few roof tiles replaced on my 1959 house as some are broken and 1 or 2 are missing. I'm not able to assess the condition of the ridge tiles as I can't get close enough to see if the mortar between the tiles is failing. Are there any guidelines about how often the ridge tiles should be repaired? Should I have them replaced even though I can see no obvious signs of failure? I'm guessing 50 years is a long time for the tiles to last but I obviously don't want to spend money on something that doesn't need to be done.

Any advice?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it ain't broke no need to fix it!
I would say ask the roofer while he is up there for his opinion on the condition of the roof, if you dont believe him get another opinion!
If the ridge will last as long as the tiles if not longer, if your worryed get his to give you a price to re-bed them, theres no point just pointing them, they would need to be lifted off and new mortar bedding them back on, pointing them is just for show and doesn't last.
Hope this helps.
Dave

Go up in the attic on a rainy/bright day. Look for water/daylight coming through the ridge.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

*edit*
Bah, beat me to it with the catchphrase Leadman!

Sponsored Links
60 years is the normal expectation for tiles, but thats on paper - it could be more or less.

Generally, the tiles will perish first and once lots of them do then its time to renew the whole lot. Also there is no rule that ridge tiles need to be replaced or even rebedded after a certain time. If they are still up there and look OK, then leave them.

You will see if they need re-bedding from the ground or with binoculars.

And at all costs, resist offers to re-point them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back