When turning the water heating on the radiators come on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi appreciate any advice really

When we turn the water heating on to heat the water the radiators come on and heat up even though the heating switch is off and thermostat is turned Down.

It's an old style system, not combi boiler. Hot water tank, where water is heated and stored.

We have already changed the cyclinder, 3 port valve and the cylinder stat.

My plumber thought it was the programme timer and today he has changed that and informed me its not fixed the problem.

Now reckons its some electrical fault,,, mentioned something about , "2nd new zone valve ,, valve is getting a rouge live from somewhere "

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I dont think much of the competence of your plumber!

Heating faults need careful diagnosis based on an understanding of how they work.

No, I dont know whats wrong with your system ( or even how its configured )because I have not been there.

Regardless, its going to be a very simple fault because its simple system!

Tony

He said the whole valve got changed, I'm thinking something went wrong when they replaced the heating cylinder.
Any thing they could have put back wrong when they replaced the heating cylinder?

Sponsored Links
Your plumber has changed the 3 port valve, the cylinder stat, the programmer and the cylinder(?), if it still doesn't work the next thing to change is the plumber!

Very difficult to diagnose on line, the usual suspects have been changed, first question is has it worked ok before?

Is it the same valve as you had before? Some have different operation and it's possible wiring colours changed (perhaps grey to white or red to orange) and also old wires look different as colours fade.

It may be that one of the parts was at fault, but whilst changing it the wiring has been accidentally messed up.

When on the odd occasion I was sent to something like that rather than mess about trying to sort out the wiring I just pulled them all out and rewired step by step from scratch

Yeah appreciate it's difficult to diagnose online, a friend of mine who understands plumbing( I have no idea ) suggested the T being wired the wrong way round, said should be on last return , is this the same as what you are saying ie the colours of the wires being wired wrong?

From what you are saying it sounds as though the pipework is wrong and the cylinder return is not the last one before the boiler meaning you are ending up with reverse circulation.

Get him back if you dare and get him to pipe it correctly.

This is still really a guess as I haven't seen the pipework configuration.

Reverse circulation is a possibility but if it was ok before (was it?) he has got to have made quite dramatic changes in a small cupboard to create that situation.
If the valve was reversed surely heating and hot water control would simply be reversed.
As said maybe a pic might help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back