When were machine made pantiles first used ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically as the title says anyone have a rough idea "when were machine made pantiles first used in the construction of a domestic dwelling roof"
I have had a hour or two on google and not found anything specifically dating their typical first use dates.
A link to any info would be great if anyone can find anything.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Is somebody doing some homework :rolleyes:

Sandtoft tiles say their first factory opening in 1956, but IIRC it was demand for a clay alternative post war, and it was possibly Redland in the late 1940's who made the first machine concrete tile

^woody^";p="1884562 said:
Is somebody doing some homework :rolleyes:

Yes sort of, got a property I surveyed built in 1890 with machine made "pantiles" on the roof and am not sure if they would be the originals, am thinking they are but not for definite . :oops: :D[/b]

For some reason I was thinking of concrete.

Clay pantiles were machine made pre 1900 and I suspect sometime between 1850 and 1880 in various countries as part of the industrial revolution

Sponsored Links
Thats sort of what I was guessing, with the power of Google etc I thought it would be a simple thing to research,spent ages and it ended up bugging me more and more and couldn't find anything specific :LOL:

According to the book `Historical Notes On The Langley Museum' by C G Dobson probably the first machine made pan tiles (in the UK) were made in 1798 after a patent was taken out by Francis Farquarson with a patent for interlocking pantiles taken out in 1855 by three Frenchmen, Emile Muller, Joseph & Xavier Gilardoni.

Xavier Gilardoni is credited as having invented an interlocking tile in Alsace in 1840

We really do keep some crap in our bookshelves here lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back