Where’s The Vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. The drain in our upstairs shower has started gurgling and although I can’t access the p-pipe, I can see that it is clear. My next step was to check the venting but I’ve no idea where it might be. 158454E5-009A-4713-893C-B16CF07FAA6F.jpegHave checked other water facilities but the only gurgling comes from the shower drain. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Depends why it's gurgling. Does this happen during/or immediately after use? Could be the pipe is becoming partially restricted with soap/hair/detritus, and causing it to create slight suction as the pipe is now running full (available) bore causing a vacuum behind the water.

Or, does it gurgle when other appliances are used, e.g. the WC is flushed? That may indicate something is amiss downstream, and pressure in the system looking for a way out. Need to know a bit more about where the shower drain too please, and if there is no visible vent on the roof, you would then be looking for an Air Admittance Valve either in the loft or possibly boxed in in the bathroom.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Does this happen during/or immediately after use?
Immediately after use
Could be the pipe is becoming partially restricted with soap/hair/detritus
Can’t see the actual pipe but can see from the drain shown in the pic above that the p-pipe part is completely clear.
Does it gurgle when other appliances are used, e.g. the WC is flushed?
No, it does not gurgle when any of the other appliances are used.
Need to know a bit more about where the shower drain too
I really have no idea on this one! The p-pipe and part of the remainder of shower drain pipe are located in the space between the shower room and the kitchen ceiling below and I have no access to it.
and if there is no visible vent on the roof
You’re right, there isn’t a visible roof vent.
you would then be looking for an Air Admittance Valve either in the loft or possibly boxed in in the bathroom.
will Google to see what this valve looks like and then have look to see if I can find one and will then post back again. Meanwhile, thank you once again for your input.

P.S. We did have a drainage company in last week checking for a cracked/collapsed drainage/sewer pipe but all was ok and believe that subsequent gurgling sound was coincidental.

Immediately after use suggests it just 'settling down' whilst it may be annoying, provided there is are no nasty odours causing offence then I wouldn't worry too much.

Air Admittance Valve (AAV) may well be concealed behind panelling, is there a boxed in section about 6" square in a corner of the bathroom, usually near the WC? That would most likely contain the soil pipe, AAV (if there is one) will be on the top of the soil pipe.

Sponsored Links
Immediately after use suggests it just 'settling down' whilst it may be annoying, provided there is are no nasty odours causing offence then I wouldn't worry too much.
Gurgling has stopped completely. Thank goodness because I couldn't find an AAV anywhere. Thank you so. much yet again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back