Where can I buy this molding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is this molding called and where can I buy it ? .... or is it more likely to be a bespoke creation ? - each block is about 1 inch in size.

Any thoughts gratefully received

blockmld.jpg

Attachments

• 20210813_183455.jpg
    20210813_183455.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 84
Sponsored Links
I believe it's called a dentil cornice. I'm afraid I don't know where to get it, but Google's your friend!

I would say that is a built-up cornice moulding (i.e. built in situ from multiple mouldings) and if timber it would probably never have been sold as a single piece - if only because it would siimply be too heavy to loft it into position

Having reproduced and repaired a number if similar structures I'd say it comprises an ogee cornice moulding at the top which is fixed onto a hollow box structure.

Below that us a smaller rectangular piece, quite possibly just planed solid timber. To the underside if that a solid ogee moulding is fixed

The bit you are interested in is planted onto the front of that lower rectangle and is referred to as a dentil moulding (dentil= "teeth"). They can have a tendency to shed some of the small blocks over time. They are simply made up by (in this instance) by planing two different cross sections of timber, crosscutting to the desired lengths and glueing and pinning them in position.

So they normally can't be bought but they are simple to repair or extend

You might be able to make the "teeth" of the moulding with a bench mounted router or jig, but more than a couple of metres would be a pain.
I'm sure some enterprising guy could make it with a mitre saw and chisel but one slip up and it's start again

You could also possibly use silicone to make a mould to copy in plaster type material.

Sponsored Links
@Tigercubrider this is a traditional moulding technique and was always made up in situ "on the fly" by simply cutting and fixing (you pre-cut a bucket load of the pieces and take them up the ladder with you). I've worked putting the stuff up and I can tell you that a "bloke with a router" wouldn't get anywhere near me doing it the "traditional" way. It really does go in that fast, even if you are hand nailing (or better using a rampin if the timber is thin enough) as opposed to using a nailer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back