Where can I find parts for doing up old window frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I don't think that I will be able to afford nice new double glazing windows. So I am looking to update them myself

There are several things I need to do, and I'm looking for where to get the parts and of course any advice you can offer.

1. Indoors, I want to replace the old wood sil with a UPVC one. Where can I get ?

2. The botton of the window frame (wood) is rotten. Can I simply chissel, remove and replace ?

3. A lot of the filler that holds the glass in is missing. Whats the best way to fix this. Putty does seem old fashioned to me (by the way the frame is metal)

4. Finally need to paint exterior wood and putty. Whats the best paint?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

That website is exactly what I spent a few hours looking for.

The only trouble is, just quickly looking. I will need most of their products, and they seem to only seel in bulk. I will check screwfix, but let me know if you know where I might pick up the same products in less quantities.

Also are their products really that special ? Or could I get away with more commercial ones ?

My windows are chose cheap council type windows from the 60's.

Do you still think it would be a bad idea to replace the outer window sill with a upvc one ?

I was hoping to reduce future maintanance.

freestyle said:
Do you still think it would be a bad idea to replace the outer window sill with a upvc one ?

I was hoping to reduce future maintanance.

A sill made of English oak should last 200 years and might last twice as long. No maintanance.

Sponsored Links
Biff, that looks interesting. Would you say their repair system is better/worse/same-as as removing the timber with rot and replacing the complete sections so the frame is all sound timber?

Freestyle, upvc is an environmental disaster. You can't do any rectification work on it, whereas you can see from the Window Care site that wood frames are fixable.

oilman said:
Would you say their repair system is better/worse/same-as as removing the timber with rot and replacing the complete sections so the frame is all sound timber?

You've got to decide in each case. A little rot is easier to repair with resin, more rot is better repaired with new wood and lots of rot means complete replacement. Then you have to factor in the potential loss of historic fabric and a qualitative assesment of resin versus wood patching. If you had a valuable medieval oak window with rot in the sill an honest and visible repair with new oak inserted into the cut out rotten timber would be preferable to either resin repair or wholesale replacement. A painted Victorian sill might be better repaired with resin. 1970's rubbish might be better thrown away and replaced with a decent window.

There was quite a bit of debate about the Anglia Windowcare System on PPUK a few weeks ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back