Where can I get a >40 Amp PLUG-IN MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone know where I can get a >40 Amp PLUG-IN B-type MCB (for a shower), it must be plug-in type as i can't be arsed replacing my whole consumer unit

Cheers Lads and Lasses. :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Big issues here.

Is your CU a Wylex either brown or black with a switch of less than 100A, or any brand with a main switch less than 100A?

If so, you should not fit an mcb greater than 32A.

Also, you have to check your tails, main fuse and meter are up to it, ie rated at 100A.

wylex don't do plug in mcbs over 40A
they do 45A cartridge fuses but there are disconnect time issues in using theese for a shower cuircuit (though you could use one backed up by a mcb in a seperate enclosure)

Electronics Dude said:
it must be plug-in type as i can't be **** replacing my whole consumer unit
So you can't be **** to do a proper job over something that could cost you your life if you **** up?

You're a ****wit.

Sponsored Links
Ban,

I haven't laughed so much in a long time ! Some people just don't get it that when you **** around with electrics invariably something bad will eventually happen...... nice touch !!!!!

I would just like to say to unphased_spark and ban-all-sheds that I posted this topic for people who haven't been labotomized to help me out! If you haven't got anything constructive to say, don't bother saying anything at all please and don't try to suggest that I need a new consumer unit. I don't take kindly to bigheads who treat home electrics as a fashion parades.

OK - some constructive advice for you.

1) You cannot get plug-in MCBs for Wylex fuseboards greater than 40A. This is not a fashion statement, it is a fact.

2) If you have a 60A fusebox, you may not use a fuse or MCB in excess of 32A. This is not a fashion statement, it is a fact.

3) Depending on the particulars of your installation, a 45A fuse may limit you to a cable length to your shower of 10m. This is not a fashion statement, it is a fact.

4) If you do not have RCD protection on your shower circuit, you are exposing yourself to unnecessary risk. This is not a fashion statement, it is a fact.

5) If you approach electrical installation work with the attitude that you have, you are unsafe. This is not a fashion statement, it is a fact.

they are right though

you are installing a very high current appliance (the highest commonly found domestically with the possible exeption of very large cookers) in a location where it will be sprayed with water frequently so to take a can't be assed atitude with such a critical installation is worrying to say the least

Plugwash - welcome to the growing list of people telling this guy things he doesn't want to accept.

All I wished to know is whether or not anyone knows where I can find a suitable plug in MCB. Personal (and they are personal) opinions do not matter to me and I do not wish to know anything else as I am quite aware of the risks.

Just as a note, my CU is RCD protected and rated at 100 Amps, also I have appropriate 16mm2 cable fitted, I do not have a can't be assed attitude regards this i can't be **** replacing my whole consumer unit was just banter. However I do not need to replace my CU anyway.

(trying to be nice) go find a GE stockist, they do a 45A plug-in MCB suitable to fit to retrofit to a Wylex CU.
But if what i read is true from the professionals, On Your Head Be it :!: :!:

yeah i forgot about the GE mini trips

i think you may have to buy a wylex cartrige fuse unit to get the base though (GE mini terips often come without bases)

the 45A mini trip should be ok (assuming its type B carachteristics)

Electronics Dude said:
also I have appropriate 16mm2 cable fitted.

Is this your supply tails, or the shower cable?

If it is your supply tails, they are not rated 100A.

Don't get the hump if people question your proposals- many of us are pro sparks or qualified engineers or both, and we don't want to see you go up in a puff of smoke - cue Ban.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back