mcb amp size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i have just got a 10.5kw shower fitted with 10 mm2 cable. my mcb only go up to 40 amp but shower book says a 45 amp should be fitted. So am looking for a 45/50 amp mcb to fit a wylex nn board but cannot see any above 40 amp, where in the uk can i get one,thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can't.

Wylex NN isn't really used anymore, I believe they stopped making the boards a while back. They can only handle up to 40A per circuit.
furthermore I have my doubts as to whether your shower is RCD protected. I strongly reccomend all showers be protected by a 30mA RCD.

Your best solution would be to get a new split load CU, which would provide RCD protection on circuits where appropriate.

Your second best option - probably more affordable, is to get a separate shower CU installed, which will provide RCD protection, and will be able to handle the right current. This of course, assumes your current board is in good condition.

You should probably get a pro to install the CU, unless you are extremely familiar with home electrics, which I'm not convinced you are.

AFAIK you won't be able to get one anywhere in the UK, or indeed anywhere in the world, because AFAIK they never made one greater than 40A. And it could well be that the CU was never designed to take that much load through one MCB, so even if you found a non-Wylex MCB that fitted, it could be dangerous.

In which case, you have 2 options:

1) Replace the CU (does it have RCD protection anyway?)

2) Put in a separate mini-CU just for the shower.

Sponsored Links
beat you to it...

I wonder how many posts i've typed only to have somebody else post more or less the same thing. At least it makes the occiasional change having more or less the same ANSWER, get annoyed with more or less the same questions being asked too often by different people... Now, how do you wire a shed? ;)

surely that depends on what you mean by shed

if you are refereing to your local branch of B&Q or wikes then you will probablly need a meaty three phase board at the intake and they seem to use some strange wiring methods in those places (they seem very fond of SY cable)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back