Where can I get a blue screw cap for cold tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Fitted some new (cheap) basin lever taps from Screwfix this weekend, but dropped the blue screw cap off the cold tap. Can't find it anywhere and it's driving us nuts! Tried calling Screwfix for spares but no luck - cheap imports from Hong Kong they said and no spares. Anyone know where I can buy such a thing? Even if it was slightly the wrong size I could probably modify it and glue it in. Just don't want to have forked out (even on my cheap taps) and have them look so rubbish without a screw cap. :(

Cheers,

Terstons_girl.

Sponsored Links
Terstons_girl said:
Tried calling Screwfix for spares but no luck - cheap imports from Hong Kong they said and no spares.
I'm sure my opinion isn't going to be well received, but I can't help but feel that you've got your just deserts.

The likes of Screwfix make it difficult for small, parochial suppliers to compete. And the fewer such businesses there are the more difficult my job is, and the more time I have to spend sourcing parts and the more stock I have to hold. And the more I do that the more I have to charge my customers.

So, if you like buying stuff that can't be maintained, thus chomping up the planet's resources at an ever faster rate, and if you like the idea of Tesco, Screwfix, B&Q and Ikea being the only shops left in the country, and you want to make life difficult for the plumber that you're going to end up paying when you have a leak or a heating breakdown, then carry on buying cheap foreign crap over the Internet.

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot guys - guess you plumbers must all be charging so much that you can afford to buy better products for yourselves.

Some of us can't.

Terstons_girl said:
Thanks a lot guys - guess you plumbers must all be charging so much that you can afford to buy better products for yourselves.

Some of us can't.

I don't think you are poor .... Just tighter than the proverbial camels arse in a sandstorm

If you were really poor you would have sent the taps back by now and said the cap never came with it!

Terstons_girl said:

Some of us can't.
I see.

You've bought some lever taps from Screwfix, which I estimate have cost you at least £9.99. Either you paid an extra £5.95 for delivery, or your order was more than £45.00. Either way you spent at least £15.94.

The last pair of basin taps I bought were charged to the customer at £17.00.

I had one (cosmetic) fault with one of the taps, and the supplier changed it without a murmur or a blink - this is just one advantage of using a local merchant with whom you can develop a relationship of trust and cooperation.

So, you've saved yourself a maximum of £1.06, driven a nail into the coffin of a small business, and bought yourself a product that, when it develops a fault, will probably have to be replaced instead of repaired.

If I have any advantage over you it's not that I'm a plumber, it's that I'm not mean, dishonest, and unrealistic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back