Where can I stand in loft? Can't see any beams!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

This is my first post so be nice!!

I bought a brand new Geroge Wimpey home a year ago and I now need to get into the loft to do some wiring, however when I get up the ladder all I can see is insulation. I have tried lifting parts of the insulation around the loft hatch to see if I can find any beams but I can't find any!

Where can I stand and walk to get to the other side of the loft to lay some cabling out without coming through the ceiling!!??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can come across some real cowboy jobs on new house sites.
Is there anything else missing, such as the inside block skin of the walls?Sometimes this can be disguised by plasterboard being fitted directly to the exterior rendering.
Have you got NHBRC insurance?

Move a bit more of the insulation, and you must find something there, or the bedroom ceilings would have fallen down. Don't forget to use a crawler board or plank. Working from the joists is risky. Welcome, anyway.

Sounds like you've got 270mm insulation, keep digging, you will find the joists

Thanks for the replys guys.

How far apart should the joist be im lookin for?

I'll have another dig about when I get home and let you know what I find!!

THanks again!

Sponsored Links
look in the gaps between the insulation... lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back