Where do I get this screw from?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See the pic below.
I went to a local DIY store. They don't have. The don't have ones with a dome head.
I need 5 - but would be good to have more.
They're from double glazed windows and have rusted - but assuming just a standard general screw.

swIXbE.jpg

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
bright zinc plate

prevents things going rusty on the shelf. but soon corrodes away outdoors or in damp conditions.

Sponsored Links
Just so that I know.. .
For future what screws should I get?

I think it's pretty dumb that the company that installed the windows only 1 year ago didn't use the right screws

Thanks

self tapping means they will cut their own thread into soft or thin metal

stainless means they will not rust (much)

flanged means they have that flat surround to the heads to resist pulling into the surface.

pozi means it fits the standard European cross-headed driver (Americans often use Phillips which is different).

As in my ebay link earlier.

You could get stainless from eBay I dare say which won't rust.

(Americans often use Phillips which is different).

A lot of the screws provided with products such as door furniture from China are still Phillips, I assume it is because of the royalty payments. AFAIK the Phillips licence expired a long time ago and the rights holders to pozidriv (which will expire in the next few years have been trying to push the supadriv standard).

******Edit******

My bad, they don't use Phillips in Asia, they use the JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) B 1012 screw-head. It looks like a Phillips but isn't really compatible with Phillips screw drivers.

Last edited:
See the pic below.
I went to a local DIY store. They don't have. The don't have ones with a dome head.
I need 5 - but would be good to have more.
They're from double glazed windows and have rusted - but assuming just a standard general screw.

swIXbE.jpg

Thanks.

How did you come to discover that they had rusted?

I take it that they are the screws for the opening mechanisms.

Given that they don't get wet, I wonder why they rusted so quickly?

BTW, in addition to self tapping screws, you can also get self driving screws. You will however still need to drill a suitable pilot hole if going through anything other than very thin metal.

Personally I would recommend them over self tapping for use by novices. If your pilot hole is slightly undersized the self drill will widen it to the required size. A self tapping screw may simply snap.

They look like this

http://www.timco.co.uk/screws/self-drilling-screws/metal-framing-screws

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back