screws, screws and more screws!

steel is an alloy, what on earth are you on about?

Yes, steel is an alloy. Which alloy, exactly, would you like to compare? 1018, 10L14, 4130, 4340?

A2 (a standard) stainless is harder (well according to my sources could of course be wrong), but more brittle (hence snapping) than mild steel (no standard)

Yes, 'mild steel', what is that exactly? YOU DON'T KNOW. 1018 is a mild steel alloy, and it is harder than 304 stainless (A2). There's 12L14, that's even harder yet (B84).

Or you could look at 4340, which is a chrome molybdenum alloy, that's B100.

well exactly, if you go for A2 (304) or A4 (316) roughly, you know what your getting (if BS standard), if you buy cheap mild steel, who knows.

Sponsored Links
well exactly, if you go for A2 (304) or A4 (316) roughly, you know what your getting (if BS standard), if you buy cheap mild steel, who knows.

This is true. It does not, however, mean an A2 screw is harder than a normal screw. It very much depends on the screw, and good quality hardened screws make A2 look soft. A4 is probably as hard as the majority of non-stainless screws, though.

Cheap 'A2' screws from places like eBay, and unspecified stainless screws from, well, who knows where, could be made of anything. They're usually not much better than brass, they bend and break easily.

On the other hand, a 12,9 bolt is hard enough to move into HRC instead of HRB, and A4 may as well be plastic in comparison.

This is true. It does not, however, mean an A2 screw is harder than a normal screw. It very much depends on the screw, and good quality hardened screws make A2 look soft. A4 is probably as hard as the majority of non-stainless screws, though.

Cheap 'A2' screws from places like eBay, and unspecified stainless screws from, well, who knows where, could be made of anything. They're usually not much better than brass, they bend and break easily.

On the other hand, a 12,9 bolt is hard enough to move into HRC instead of HRB, and A4 may as well be plastic in comparison.

TBH i agree with what you say, buy quality, not carp!! I will still always use good quality stainless screws.

does any of this help the innocent DIYer wanting a few hundred screws from a low-cost supplier?

Sponsored Links
Personally, I use the Turbogold screws from Screwfix, usually. They're decent, don't rust easily. The goldscrews are.. alright. Light work, dry conditions only. I'm using them up in wall plugs.

As for their quicksilver ones.. won't buy 'em. They're soft ****, especially the pan heads. Round out if you look at them funny.

I also tend to use Ulti-Mate screws, just chuck the bit they come with in the bin, too brittle.

Good screws are worth the money, but things like Spax and Reisser are far too expensive for most jobs. Then again, Turbogolds are almost as expensive as Reisser right now.

does any of this help the innocent DIYer wanting a few hundred screws from a low-cost supplier?

Think I just did.

of course, as i said before, screws are a small part of the cost, it pays to know not all screws are equal. I agree with the quick silver ones though they aren't too good are they :D

Turbogold then?

hardened steel with a (passivated zinc?) anti-corrosion coating.

And A2 stainless for outside, perhaps upsized a bit for a bigger head to resist stripping, or a pilot to drive it easier (but I most recently used stainless coach bolts and the hex head was fine, though not cheap)

Turbogold's a good general purpose screw, yes.

Upsizing to resist stripping is counter-productive: Even if you go up enough to get a PZ3 head, the torque requirement will be increased and as such, you're more likely to twist, snap, or round out the screw. Driving A2 screws at speed requires a softer bit.

Upsizing to resist stripping is counter-productive: Even if you go up enough to get a PZ3 head, the torque requirement will be increased and as such, you're more likely to twist, snap, or round out the screw. Driving A2 screws at speed requires a softer bit.

Or a stainless bit.

Or a stainless bit.

Can't say I've seen a bit made of stainless steel before.

I habitually drill pilot holes, but I notice my friendly local joiner doesn't unless I ask him. Is that because of modern screws and cordless drivers?

I habitually drill pilot holes, but I notice my friendly local joiner doesn't unless I ask him. Is that because of modern screws and cordless?

Modern screws are hardened and have optimised profiles, as well as self drilling tips. That combined with power tools makes for easy driving in softwood without a pilot hole, but there's a limit as to how far you can go with that before something gives.

Or a stainless bit.

sure pretty common.

Or a stainless bit.

sure pretty common.

Now, as soon as they make those available in the rest of the world without simply changing the dollar sign into something else..

Or a stainless bit.

sure pretty common.

Now, as soon as they make those available in the rest of the world without simply changing the dollar sign into something else..

bad link, commonly available in the UK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back