Questions about Screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sick of running out of screws for DIY jobs such as hanging things, replacing door hinge screws, hanging blinds, bits of woodwork etc. So I want to buy a multi set with differences sizes and thicknesses, pozi top and I guess countersunk. However, all the trade packs in screwfix for example all say single thread. Most of the time when I buy small packs I get twin thread, which I thought makes a faster drive. How come none of these trade packs are twin?

Also, confused by gold verses turbo verses silver etc. the screw i use are normally just stainless steel.

Can anyone recommend a pack of screws that can be used for various uses e.g. with rawl plugs in brick walls, small wood projects such as building a log store, and which are good quality so the head doesn't wear out easily. Also, thought I may as well get twin thread, if they are better than single, unless Ive got that wrong...

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Only my opinion mate but you'll find that if you buy a trade pack, the screws you tend to use will be gone, and you'll be left with obscure sizes.
Personally I'd go for the popular sizes in the Spax range.....20, 25, 35, 40 and 50mm with the diameters of 3.5 up to 5mm.
John :)

Some years ago (5? 6?) I bought a pack like this for a similar range of jobs and as I have used up a size I have bought a box of that size (such as this).

As John says, that original pack contains a lot of things I don't use much. In the one I linked, of the 1,000 pieces, 130 are 3.5 x 16 and 120 are 3.5 x 20, i.e. a quarter of the 1,000.

My pack must have included 3x16, 3x20, 3.5x20 and 4x25. Of those fours sizes I have only topped up the 3.5x20, but I have topped up all of the larger ones. I knew that I would have loads of the small ones unused but I have used all of them at some stage so it was not a total waste.

Also I was not really sure what I would use most of and so that pack gave me a decent starter. In fact I have used plenty of all of the larger sizes and some sizes (in between & bigger still) that were not included.

I know what you mean about a double thread but these drive in very fast, much faster than anything I had bought before.

I too was confused about the different options and can't remember now why I plumped for these. Maybe part of my reasoning was to buy a mixed pack and if they worked (i.e. I liked them) fine and if not I would not have wasted too much.

I tend to buy packs of screws from Toolstation. I just buy the sizes I want, and usually buy Torx-headed screws. That way I know if someone else has been messing around!:LOL: In my experience, a whole box of 100 screws from TS is often cheaper than a pack of 20 from a certain "shed" whose logo is orange in colour.

Sponsored Links
I'm sick of running out of screws for DIY jobs such as hanging things, replacing door hinge screws, hanging blinds, bits of woodwork etc. So I want to buy a multi set with differences sizes and thicknesses, pozi top and I guess countersunk. However, all the trade packs in screwfix for example all say single thread. Most of the time when I buy small packs I get twin thread, which I thought makes a faster drive. How come none of these trade packs are twin?

Also, confused by gold verses turbo verses silver etc. the screw i use are normally just stainless steel.

Can anyone recommend a pack of screws that can be used for various uses e.g. with rawl plugs in brick walls, small wood projects such as building a log store, and which are good quality so the head doesn't wear out easily. Also, thought I may as well get twin thread, if they are better than single, unless Ive got that wrong...

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Not entirely sure I've understood the singly and twin thread thing considering anything in wood I'd pilot first anyway to prevent splitting.

I've had couple of the packs StephenOak mentioned when they've been on offer and are great. On offer last month infact. As for use with rawl plugs, I don't think they would be. That said I never use rawl plugs as I think they're a load of crap.

Gold Vs silver is down to screw coating. The gold I believe are yellow zinc plated and the silver are zinc plated. Don't quote me but I believe the yellow zinc plate offers a 'better' corrosion resistance presuming that coating isn't damaged.

Not entirely sure I've understood the singly and twin thread thing considering anything in wood I'd pilot first anyway to prevent splitting.

Twin thread is, AFAIUI, nothing to do with avoiding splitting but to make the screw go in faster.

I more or less standardised on the turbo gold type from Screwfix. I found these were best for not needing a pilot hole, and bit easier, went in easier and caused less splitting than the twin threads.

Twin threads may have a slight speed advantage for hand screwing many over time. But if you are using a cordless or just doing one off's, then no. Twin threads can be part threaded which can be adventageous.

Performance wise, and in the days of cordless drivers, there is probably no difference for the diyer. So just base it on price.

Twin thread is, AFAIUI, nothing to do with avoiding splitting but to make the screw go in faster.

My point being if you're going to avoid splitting wood there's a strong chance your piloting the hole first so that extra half a second you'll gain when driving the screw is negligible.

Screwfix gold are the ones I use all the time, buy yourself a trade pack in a nice metal case and top up as you need.
I get what people are saying about not using all the sizes in a trade pack, but when they are on offer they're cheap enough not to worry and I usually buy 10 at a time when they are reduced. Which actually seems to be less often now. to be honest 20 quid for a trade pack is a bargain if you ask me anyway.

Screwfix gold are the ones I use all the time, buy yourself a trade pack in a nice metal case and top up as you need.
I get what people are saying about not using all the sizes in a trade pack, but when they are on offer they're cheap enough not to worry and I usually buy 10 at a time when they are reduced. Which actually seems to be less often now. to be honest 20 quid for a trade pack is a bargain if you ask me anyway.
That's what I do - buy a reduced price trade case then top up as necessary, got one of TurboGold and one of TurboGold XT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back