Where do I start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please welcome to the fleet, a Skoda Yeti 4x4, brand spankers, 150 bhp euro 6 compliant diesel (Adblue tank, which the dealer didn't know about :eek:)
No worries - a lovely car to drive, but a fault.....
It concerns the car set up and display system, operated by buttons on the steering wheel.....pressing one of them gives you a menu which you can scroll through - blah blah.
Anyway, first thing, the wheel switches are dead, more or less - but slowly they come to life as the car is driven, and after 1/2 an hour everything works just fine.....(so fine in fact I managed to lock myself in, but that's another story.)
I fully appreciate the car is under warranty, but where on earth would you start? I don't really fancy an oily oik pulling my 20 grand motor to bits.....the fact that all works well once warm (maybe) indicates to me that the wheel switches are fine - but does anyone know better?
John :)

Sponsored Links
could be as simple as requiring a software update to sync everything?
or just smack it with a hammer,lol.

have you tried disconnecting the battery for 1/2 hr just in case you can sync it yourself?
i assume you have the radio code?

I hope you're right :D
I haven't done anything to it yet as its only a day old - bless! As for the radio code, everything on the darn thing is touch screen, which is how I managed to lock myself in :eek: Not even a CD player so all music is condensed onto a cardboard Shreddie. 'Er indoors says its an SD card or something.
It did, however manage to tell me that the gearbox oil temperature was 'Good' so I can take comfort from that!
Seriously out of me depth already!

Not sure what you mean by wheel switches, but if it's tyre pressure monitors maybe they need inertia from the whhel turning to charge them?

Sponsored Links
Sorry Alan, thats a poor explanation on my part.....
On the steering wheel there are two scrolling switches - one side is for the 'infotainment' (by which I presume they mean a radio) and the other side allows me to access the various functions of the car....wiper speeds, door locking, turning lamps and all of that. This is fairly standard VAG fare.
What spooks me is that first thing, nothing works when you press that switch but as the car and cab warms up, it comes back to life and then works fine.
It takes about half an hour for it to wake up!
I'm trying to discover what will actually happen when the car goes back to the garage, as its not one of the more 'traditional' failures!

I feel an absolute fraud now.....Everything worked perfectly today, even on the freezing cold start this morning!
Fingers crossed it stays this way! For sure, I didn't imagine it, even if I do doubt my own sanity sometimes!

Cheers for that, Alan - I'm sure that site will prove useful in the future.
Curiously, this vehicle came from Arnold Clark in your home city, and found it's way to a SEAT dealer in Newcastle......all with 19 miles on the clock!

The question is - can you live with it for your time of ownership ? I drive a knackered Merc Sprinter round Sussex delivering fruit+veg . 270k total miles and lights up like a christmas tree on the displays :whistle: Not my own motor so I just coax it along. Among it's many foibles is the key won't start it @ random times so you put it in+out and fiddle about for a few minutes and Bingo ! No worries on a old shed , but if your NEW motor is playing about now - what will it do in the future ( regarding the issues you mention alone ) I would let the dealer know because then it's "logged" . I had one small niggle with our new Vauxhall Corsa, now 20 months old - noisy wiper mech. on one side . Told dealer @ first service and it was lubed up. It took a few months to quiten . Always best to report things no matter how small, in my opinion.(y)

Mercifully, the original issue hasn't returned......the car had been left for 48 hours, was used today and everything hunky dory.
Lets hope it stays that way!

Maybe there was some residue, condensation and/or over application of contact lubricant (maybe incorrect lubricant) on slip rings or whatever the connection twixt steering wheel controls and electrical source / destination, several wheel turns serving to clean things up and restore connectivity ?

Hope you don't have a sunshine roof - could be mistaken for a skip - they say ! :(

-0-

An excess of switch lube was my own diagnosis, I have to say!
No sunshine roof :whistle:
It seems to be good value, remembering it's 4x4 courtesy Haldex.....drive away for less than 19 grand.

I'd have thought lube too. Or some sort of protection not wiped off?
Sounds good value and Skoda have got a good reputation these days. (y)
I'd have one no problem. I think I said before I had a little Skoda as a courtesy car a year or two back. It was a good 'un I reckoned.

Sponsored Links
Back