Where do I start?

That does sound like its a likely area, doesn't it.....I've had similar problems with Citroen air bags and the clock ring, but that vehicle had been to the moon.
Anyway, the dealer knows about it so it has 3 years to come back :whistle:
Still working so far!
Cheers for the info.
John :)

Sponsored Links

Learning something new - almost everyday !! Clockspring who'd have guessed ?

Google will be glowing !

-0-

So that's how it works then! I didn't know that either.

Car clockspring reminded me of a story my grandmother used to tell about when she was a girl, so probably 1895 - 1900. She came from a village in Warwickshire, and said about a man who was a clockmaker who had made a "clockwork" car, which he used to "wind up" for a long time before driving it. An early car with internal combustion engine, having a surface carb, and trembler coil ignition that took quite a bit of "winding up" I suspect. :)

sounds like a bad connection somewhere along the path all the from your thumb wheel to the board level.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

Car clockspring reminded me of a story my grandmother used to tell about when she was a girl, so probably 1895 - 1900. She came from a village in Warwickshire, and said about a man who was a clockmaker who had made a "clockwork" car, which he used to "wind up" for a long time before driving it. An early car with internal combustion engine, having a surface carb, and trembler coil ignition that took quite a bit of "winding up" I suspect. :)
You are badly mistaken mate, older cars did not have a starter motors, the engine had to be cranked by hands, ha ha !

and that man she mentioned, was he by any chance called a Hillman?

You are badly mistaken mate, older cars did not have a starter motors, the engine had to be cranked by hands, ha ha !

and that man she mentioned, was he by any chance called a Hillman?
When she said he "wound it up". I assumed she meant by hand. Perhaps it had a clockwork starter motor. :LOL:
Last car I had anything to do with that had a starting handle (apart from Landrovers) was a 60s Hillman Minx.

Yes i remember we had a Hillman Super Minx and in front of the bumper there was this Saturn shaped hole through which you pushed a long steel bar that engaged with the main engine pulley and you cranked the handle, and the engine would start after a few attempts, in those days the engines didn't start at first crank, so one would have to struggle a bit, as fuel pumps used moving diaphragm pushed in by a leaver resting on a camshaft, not electric fuel pumps. Most cars only had a couple of electric motors and about 3 switches, one for headlights and side lights, one for wipers, and may be one other for things like fan heating.

remember the old indicator lights used to pop out from the centre pillar! But amazingly cars still have a clutch and gearboxes and piston engines and tyres, and a steering wheel, things haven't progressed in this side of mobility. But I think Google are well on their way to make steeringless cars.

Yes it was a Super Minx that I remember. Belonged to my wife's grandfather, and needed a new battery which I eventually persuaded him to get, as I was getting lumbered with starting duties. :)
I had a grey Fergie up until a few years ago, and I used to start that with the handle because the starter ring was knackered, and I wasn't using it often enough to warrant splitting it to get at the ring.
Watching somebody cranking something by hand the other day on TV. Thumb wrapped around the top side of the handle, instead of out of the way as my dad showed me with his sit up and beg Ford Pop. I thought that he won't be doing that too many times!
Moggy Thous, Minis, and Series one Landrovers had SU electric pumps. Must be other vehicles as well.
The indicator arm things were called "trafficators" IIRC. They used to stick in, the bulbs would fail, and nobody ever looked for them when driving anyway!

Agreed about cars still had the same basic bits. Modern cars are comfortable, and all the toys are nice to have, but they're a PIA when they go wrong.
Seeing some of the driving these days I reckon that the sooner there are self driving vehicles, the better!

I'll guess that it's a good idea if that particular Briggs is a good starter. I've had to do with several over the years, and they seem to vary as to how easy they are to get going from cold, for no particular reason.

It wasn't in production for very long, Dave.....I think the main issue was that it took a while to wind it up to try again for a start, unlike the cord recoil where you could briskly pull as quick as you like.
I seem to remember it was a fairly vicious mechanism too but I can't qualify that one.
John :)

Not something you'd want to casually take apart, especially if it was wound up! Mind you, an ordinary clock spring can get quite exciting apparently if you don't make sure it's not under tension.

Blimey, that lot effectively muddied the water !

Wound up ribbon connecter - almost sounds like a 'wind up'.

Plenty of references tho'.

-0-

Sponsored Links
Back