Where doesn't light work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting an outside securty PIR light

The PIR light is wired directly to a 3 gang switch in my kitchen

I have connected the light as follows

The neutral is connected to L1 and the Live is connected to the COM. I then placed a tiny bit of brown (live) wire in between the COM from the other light fittings in my kitchen and the outside PIR security light

There is power going to the PIR light, but it does not light up..

I assumed that the actual light may have been faulty so I changed this, but still no luck

Any suggestions

Attachments

• IMG_20191225_103344248.jpg
    IMG_20191225_103344248.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_20191225_104702176.jpg
    IMG_20191225_104702176.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_20191225_103433884.jpg
    IMG_20191225_103433884.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 246
Sponsored Links
Neutral needs to be connected to the neutral, not the switched live.
Are you saying that the brown cable (which is wired from the light directly to the switch) should be in the L1 terminal on the switch?

And that the blue wire, which i have placed in L1 should be in the COM terminal?

Please note that i have two other light fittings wired to the switch and the brown wires are in the COM terminal?

Sponsored Links
You obviously have no idea what you are doing and are a danger to yourself and your family. Get an electrician in.

Does your lighting circuit have RCD protection? If not, this will need adding as well.

Just looked at picture 3, UGH. That cable has too much sleeving cut off, the clamp when you screw it up will never waterproof it.

Again I say get an electrician.

I think I see where I have gone wrong..

The blue cable (switched live) should remain in the L1. However I should put this in the Live terminal on the PIR light fitting

So this leaves the brown wire which is in COM in the light switch. Where would this go in the light fitting?

I think I see where I have gone wrong..

The blue cable (switched live) should remain in the L1. However I should put this in the Live terminal on the PIR light fitting

So this leaves the brown wire which is in COM in the light switch. Where would this go in the light fitting?

NO, all completely wrong. See my post no. 5.

Basically permanent live goes to com in the switch, connect L1 on the switch to brown on the light, that is switched live. Also connect blue on the light directly to neutral which may not be present in the switch. Connect green yellow in the light to earth.

Basically permanent live goes to com in the switch, connect L1 on the switch to brown on the light, that is switched live. Also connect blue on the light directly to neutral which may not be present in the switch. Connect green yellow in the light to earth.
Thank you. Just to clarify

L1 = Brown Wire
Brown wire = Live on Light fitting

Blue = Neutral on Light Fitting

My switch is a 3 gang and only has COM and L1 and L2. So what should i do with this blue cable in the switch?

L1 = Brown Wire

My switch is a 3 gang and only has COM and L1 and L2. So what should i do with this blue cable in the switch?

L1 = Brown Wire

My switch is a 3 gang and only has COM and L1 and L2. So what should I do with this blue cable in the switch?

You obviously have no idea what you are doing and are a danger to yourself and your family. Get an electrician in.

DOES YOUR LIGHTING CIRCUIT HAVE RCD PROTECTION? IF NOT THIS WILL NEED ADDING AS WELL..

Just looked at picture 3, UGH. That cable has too much sleeving cut off, the clamp when you screw it up will never waterproof it.

Again I say get an electrician.

IF YOU KILL YOURSELF THROUGH IGNORANCE THAT IS ALL WELL AND GOOD. But think of your family having to arrange a funeral on Boxing day.

L1 = Brown Wire

Correct
If the blue cable is the light's neutral, and you don't have a neutral at the switch, then you'll have to find somewhere else to connect it.
Your lighting is probably loop at the ceiling rather than the switch, so the switches only have live and earth.

Also note the comments about RCD protection if there isn't any adjust

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back