Where is the best place to buy a replacement plinth block.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was removing skirting boards in preparation for replastering the walls. While I was doing this the plinth block at the bottom of my door broke off, so I want to buy a new one. I have looked around online and can only find places selling either packs of 4 or they want huge amounts for delivery.

I am just wondering if anyone knows what type of shop is actually likely to have these so that I can just go somewhere and pick one up. I would prefer a hard wood, e.g. Oak, rather than MDF etc. I'm guessing it is not something I am likely to get from B&Q?

Sponsored Links
It might help if we knew what (if anything) you are trying to match.

As a joiner I'd normally just knock-up plinth blocks from offcuts of skirting, MDF or planed softwood because most of them are little more than boxes with the back missing. Sometimes they need a chamfer or chamfers adding which is a pencil line and jack plane job, others might need a moulding applied which means either finding a piece of appropriate moulding or working one with the router. Can't see the point in going to hardwood unless you're matching an existing hardwood casing or skirtings

I'm not really trying to match anything except for the bit that broke. It is basically a piece of wood approximately 115x130x25mm Should I just go out somewhere and find someone to cut a piece of wood to these dimensions?

Sponsored Links
That's what I'd do. It's got to be cheaper tha buying a fancy plinth block in (especially at the prices I've seen)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back