Where is this damp smell coming from?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a damp issue a while ago which has dried up. It left an large ugly discolouration in the corner of the room.

Worker came and put a sealent over it. Most of the smell/toxins went. However when I go to that corner of the room I can still sense a nasty smell and it starts making me itchy aswell.

There must still be some toxins leaking or coming out of somewhere but I'm not sure where. I thought of following places:

1. I notice there is cracks in the ceiling and other parts of the room so maybe its coming from there? I could put a filler in and block it out no problem. Do you think its coming from there?

2. However when I put my nose closer to the area the damp was, it seems its coming from there. However I do not see signs of damp except slight pieces of cracked wallpaper here and there.

There also a bit of skirting board with small gaps making me think it could be coming from there.

Any ideas where its coming from and or what I should look out for?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
is the floor timber?if so take up a couple of boards and inspect the area.

is the floor timber?if so take up a couple of boards and inspect the area.

the floor does have problems, however I have put sealed vinyl over it so don't think the problem is coming from there. it feels like its coming from some tiny dots in the walls to be honest.

honestly, I don't know.

Sponsored Links
Hi Greg

What do you mean check it out. There was a damp problem however it is completely dried up. Now it was just the smell that remained.

The floor is covered so the smell wont come up through there. The smell was coming through the wall however that too is covered. However I do notice small bits of wallpaper falling through in certain spots.

what could it be?

could be unicorns living under your floor.:eek: :rolleyes:

if your not willing to lift the floor to check out any other potential underlying problems then no one can answer any of your questions.
you say youve had problems with damp in the past AND you say THERE is a problem with the floor mmmm me thinks maybe the smell might be comming from the floor,what do you think????

possibly, but it should be possible to block it out. if its sealed then no smell should able to come through.

also the problem cam from outside and appeared n the wall. sealent has solved most of it. it just seems parts of the wall may still be affected(little green dots) and I feel that's where its coming from but I do not know.

in any case, if the floor is sealed, need I go that far? im seriously ill and really not in a position to be ripping the floor up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back