Where is Windows Mail in Windows 7?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just as the title says, I've installed Windows 7 and can't find the e-mail programme. The equivalent of Outlook Express or Windows Mail is what I'm looking for.
EDIT, I think I've found it. I need to download it, right?

Sponsored Links
I would personally look into Thunderbird instead of any Microsoft equivalent, it has far more useful features and could be considered to be more secure due to it's open source nature.

http://www.getthunderbird.com

You can download Windows Live Mail from;

http://download.live.com/wlmail

Programs you can download include:

* Messenger
* Mail
* Writer
* Photo Gallery
* Movie Maker
* Family Safety
* Toolbar

You can also use Thunderbird too.

I Have both and also Googlemail, all for different things.

dave

I have found WLM to be very hard to use, and full of things that a person who just wants to get email without all the bells and whisles doesn't want or need, especially for a newbee.The method I used here was a bit more complicated. Glad to see that simplified considerably as well as seeing the TakeOwnership available there since that is also good for both XP and Vista
as well as 7. Unlike a lot of programs that Windows comes out with, which seem to be made for people who are completely computer illiterate, they made WLM to hard for newbees.

Sponsored Links
Just as the title says, I've installed Windows 7 and can't find the e-mail programme. The equivalent of Outlook Express or Windows Mail is what I'm looking for.
EDIT, I think I've found it. I need to download it, right?

Did you manage to find your e-mail programme? I am having the same difficulty.

I would personally look into Thunderbird instead of any Microsoft equivalent, it has far more useful features and could be considered to be more secure due to it's open source nature.

http://www.getthunderbird.com

However, due to it's open source nature, it could be relatively easier for hackers to find flaws and allow them to write/develop viruses and malaware programs to bypass the security.
Microsoft are the biggest player in IT software and as such are the big target for hackers/trojan/ malaware programs.
I can remember a few years back that Apple were proud of the fact that their operating system was considered virus proof. Once they stated as such, they became the target of a new generation of hackers/ virus developers. Just to show them it could be done.

It could be argued both ways, but a community of developers looking at the code allows those flaws to be discovered before exploits occur. Essentially having a large user base performing white box testing improves security rather than hinders it.

Microsoft on the other hand having a handful of developers working on the project are more likely to miss security holes based on pure numbers, or take the "no one can see it, it doesn't matter" approach.

I think having the world see your code makes you more likely to produce better code.

Back