Where to buy smooth finishing render mix

Joined
8 Jun 2013
Messages
898
Reaction score
147
Location
Gloucestershire
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a bag of pre-mix external finishing render (smooth). Any ideas where I can buy it from any of the usual building suppliers? I've looked online at the usual suspects; Wickes, Travis Perkins, B&Q, Selco etc but cannot seem to find the right thing. They appear to have base coat but not finishing (smooth) coat.
I have a 1980s mock-tutor (white render, black boards) property. I'm removing the horizontal boards but what remains is quite rough, needs smoothing before painting.
 

Attachments

  • 20260918_131600.jpg
    20260918_131600.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20260918_131554.jpg
    20260918_131554.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 26
Will stick fine as is.
About 12 mind in it's used for cracks so you can have a look at it being used.
Just for filling it would work well as you aren't skimming over everything

 
Ready-mixed cement-based products do not exist, because they can't - cement starts setting the moment water is added, it will even set under water. It doesn't need to dry to set, in fact drying while setting weakens it. So anything pre-mixed would be a brick.

Any pre-mixed cement lookalike products are not cement. They'll be a chalky or plastic-based goo with bits of sand and some grey colour in.
 
Ready-mixed cement-based products do not exist, because they can't - cement starts setting the moment water is added, it will even set under water. It doesn't need to dry to set, in fact drying while setting weakens it. So anything pre-mixed would be a brick.

Any pre-mixed cement lookalike products are not cement. They'll be a chalky or plastic-based goo with bits of sand and some grey colour in.

Isn't JetCem cement?
 
Ready-mixed cement-based products do not exist, because they can't - cement starts setting the moment water is added, it will even set under water. It doesn't need to dry to set, in fact drying while setting weakens it. So anything pre-mixed would be a brick.

Any pre-mixed cement lookalike products are not cement. They'll be a chalky or plastic-based goo with bits of sand and some grey colour in.
I wasn't after a wet solution, just the correct ratio mix, dry.
I've bought and used the Toupret stuff now. It seems to be working ok (work in progress).
 

Attachments

  • 20260929_142650.jpg
    20260929_142650.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 17
Damp sponge edges to bend in.
You can mix up some and roll over if you want to rough up surface a little.
Get artistic and creative.
 
What's beneath it? Concrete block? I'm guessing if it's modern then it's not actually panels and the timber isn't actually structural, more likely just nailed on planks.

You may be wasting your time, it's moved before so will move again and crack your patches. You'll probably see the joins and over-skim marks once it's painted.

Probably best to re-do it all, with a modern product in embedded mesh. While you're at it you could consider losing the mock tudor look if you fancy a less fussy finish with less maintenance.

Or just finish one panel, all done your way and painted, see how it looks after a winter.
 
I'm beginning to despair rather. I started with using the Toupret stuff but it's becoming a massive ball-ache. There seems to be just too much of an area that needs doing. I did try just painting over with Santex smooth to see if the imperfections would show through and they do sadly. Tjis gas had two coats. The painted bit is the better half that I hadn't 'blasted off' with the karcher.
My thoughts: if I used a Santex rough paint, would it hide the imperfections?
Or alternatively, is there such thing as a render skim-coat? If this was an internal wall then a skim over the lot would cover all sins.
 

Attachments

  • 20261006_132153.jpg
    20261006_132153.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20261006_131503.jpg
    20261006_131503.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20261006_131446.jpg
    20261006_131446.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 5
Sandtex Trade’s High Build Textured Decorative Coating.
It's like really thick paint and you roll on to give a textured pop pattern.
I can't vouch for how it will look.
No cheap either.

Or you could use.
Teraline (often spelled Tyrolean or teraline render) Teraline (often spelled Tyrolean or teraline render) is a textured, cement-based decorative wall coating applied to interior or exterior surfaces using a specialized flick or spray machine
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top