Where to buy wood at reasonable prices?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to build a workbench for my garage at home, I've drawn up some plans that require about 25m of planed 2x4" and two pieces of 25mm plywood (not sure what else to use) 1920x900mm and looking around locally I've found that the 2x4" will cost around £75, about £3 per metre so I can live with that but I had a quote today for the 2 pieces of ply cut to size for £150, that sounds quite expensive to me. So anyone know of anywhere (preferably around Gloucestershire) where I might be able to source the materials cheaper?

I wouldn't mind but so far it looks like the 1920x900mm bench will cost over £200 on materials alone.

Sponsored Links
Mdf would be a cheap method, can be use for both legs and top . Smooth easy clean finish. Two sheets would do the lot.
My own bench cost nowt, just the effort top collect unwanted timber.

Thanks but i need something more substantial than MDF really (at least for the framework) as I mess about with motorbikes quite a bit so am always wrestling with heavy stubborn things in a big vice.

Make a frame for the vice using your 2x4

Buy three 18x2400x1200 sheets from Wickes for 25 quid. Rip two of them into 900mm + 300 and the other in half 600 600. Glue a 600 + 300 bit underside a 900. Now you have enough 36mm plywood, cost 75 quid

Sponsored Links
Thanks but i need something more substantial than MDF really (at least for the framework) as I mess about with motorbikes quite a bit so am always wrestling with heavy stubborn things in a big vice.
Mdf properly constructed will hold your entire bike .

This is what I've drawn up so far so am probably sticking to it or at least something very similar. I don't want to cheap out as i'll be in this house for a while but I just want to make sure I'm not overpaying for the materials I need.

Note: it's actually drawn with a 1" top but which is likely to change depending on what thickness ply is used in the end so that will affect all the other measurements also.

Looks like its £33 http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Non-Structural-Hardwood-Plywood-18x1220x2440mm/p/110037[/QUOTE]

That's non structural. Not saying that you need a structural wood - the other guy's comment about MDF being fine certainly holds up.. It's just the structural ply is cheaper than the decorative stuff

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Structural-Spruce-Plywood-18x1220x2440mm/p/110036

See the red pencil price

Save more by just buying 2 sheets for £62, glue the two 320 to the 900 top and then use the offcuts elsewhere underneath to just take up the 18mm gap between frame and underside. Save further by using MDF as the other guy said. If youre in it for the long haul, build an MDF one first time and see how long it takes to break it, then make a call one whether to go more robust

Was just pricing some mahogany at murdocks.
90m of 200 x 50mm = £1100. (rough sawn)

Looks like its £33 http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Non-Structural-Hardwood-Plywood-18x1220x2440mm/p/110037[/QUOTE]

That's non structural. Not saying that you need a structural wood - the other guy's comment about MDF being fine certainly holds up.. It's just the structural ply is cheaper than the decorative stuff

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Structural-Spruce-Plywood-18x1220x2440mm/p/110036

See the red pencil price

Save more by just buying 2 sheets for £62, glue the two 320 to the 900 top and then use the offcuts elsewhere underneath to just take up the 18mm gap between frame and underside. Save further by using MDF as the other guy said. If youre in it for the long haul, build an MDF one first time and see how long it takes to break it, then make a call one whether to go more robust

Thanks, looks like I'll be heading to Wickes Saturday morning then.

Was just pricing some mahogany at murdocks.
90m of 200 x 50mm = £1100. (rough sawn)

30 odd quid a cubic foot's not too bad is it?
It always sounds a lot though when you're buying any quantity.

A proper timber yard or sawmill is always (in my experience) a LOT cheaper than any diy store.
They're not open late though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back