Where to fit a CH Filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I'm thinking about fitting one of these filters this year during the yearly drain flush inhibit routine I have. the problem is I have virtually no easily accessible 22mm pipework. Only very small sections before it goes under the floor from the boiler. It's a Baxi Bermuda boiler with 28mm gravity HW pipes beside the 22mm flow and return which makes for not very much room at all.

Could a filter be fitted to the 28mm pipe as it comes out/enters the hot water tank? The websites say these filters don't add any extra restriction but I'm not sure if it's bad practice to fit one to a gravity circuit?

Steve

Sponsored Links
Heating hot water by gravity is a slow process anyway, so adding a filter certainly won't improve matters and, probably won't be too effective at catching much either. The hot water circuit itself won't produce 'magnetic' debris as it will have copper (or plastic) contact parts. The magnetic debris is produced by corrosion of the radiators.

The idea of the filter is to catch any particles in the pumped circuit after the last radiator whilst they are still in 'suspension' due to the speed of the water flow. Once the water reaches the larger volume of the boiler, the flow slows and the particles may fall out of suspension and settle so not reach the filter. For this reason, it is usually recommended that they are installed in the pumped return, just prior to the boiler.

It's not necessary to drain and flush the system annually, the same water is circulated continually, so the inhibitor doesn't escape. (unless you have a lot of leaks)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back