Where to fit uPVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have constructed a timber frame wall that I want to install a uPVC door into. It is inward opening and I want it to open to around 135° so it doesn't impede too much inside the room. The outside is being clad and the inside will be plasterboard. The issue I have is where to place the door within the frame and how to line the inside jamb with the plasterboard without getting in the way of the hinges. My instinct is to butt the door frame up flush to the inner side of the frame but then I would have a narrow exposed plasterboard edge to deal with. Would it be better to place the door slightly out from the inside edge (I'm thinking around an inch) so that I can put in some kind of reveal liner/cloaking to cover the edge of the plasterboard. I'm just worried that this would then get in the way of opening the door, not sure how much clearance I have on it. Any ideas on what people would normally do?

Sponsored Links
I guess you have formed the opening already?

I ask as the solution is to make the structural opening bigger, say by 70mm. That gives more clearance for the door to open back beyond 90 deg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back