Fitting a 2nd hand upvc door and underfilling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have (very generously) been given a 2nd hand upvc door and frame, which I am hoping to fit, but sizes are different different. I have keys.

The questions:
What can I use to pack the sides of a uPVC door if the width of the opening is wider than the frame? (can I just use tannelised wood?)
Can I trim the top and sides if needs be and if so, by how much? Any special tools required? (i.e. can I cut a curve corner to fit narrowest at top of frame by 25mm each side?)
What's the easiest way to remove a concrete step if needs be?
Can I underfill a fitted door?
If I underfill front and back, does the interior need to be higher and do I need a DPC?

Background info: I have outhouses attached to the main structure of the building and in use. The opening in question has an arch at the top. The existing door frame is 3x2 (more than one either side and a piece of 3x2 at the top, with painted hardboard filing the remaining arch. The floor inside and out would be level on a slope, except for a kind of step having been built about 1 inch deep below the door when shut and about 40mm higher on the outside. The door is wider than the frame, hung inside, and butts against the higher level concrete and the frame when shut.
Pictures of existing setup are attached.

The situation:
Most of the opening width is about 3 inches wider than the frame of the door I have been given. (opening brick to brick is approx 990mm, existing door is 815mm wide, new door inc frame is 910mm wide)
The height of the uPVC frame is 2050mm, which is 10mm higher than existing door, which takes the top of the door into the arch.
Fitting the new door at at the height above the floor as per existing door the width would be approx 930mm, hanging 40mm higher (to allow for the step) would be 880mm.
Arch is currently filled using a piece of painted ply.

Current thoughts:
Lump hammer and bolster chisel to get rid of existing concrete below door (any easier ways please?).
Pack with tannelised timber at either side (would 2 lengths of 75mmx22mm be enough to pack? i.e. would leave 18mm gap either side of frame).
Fit replacement frame and door at similar height from floor to existing door (no need to trim uPVC frame).
Place small piece of wood under door as a form and underfill with sand and cement from outside.
Fit DPC against front filled mix, underfil from inside, about 10mm higher than bottom of frame and with a 3-5mm gap.
3inch x 1/2 inch wood over top PVC fram, and either wood, or possibly glass to fill arch to replace the ply.
Usual expanding foam/frame sealant to finish.

Tips from anyone who has done this or does this for a living would be very seriously appreciated!!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 282
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 265
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 252
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 263
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back