Where to source Egger MFC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm trying to find somewhere that will supply me 15mm egger ferrara oak mfc in the Bristol area. Ideally I'd also like it cut so that its 2000 x 14000.

I've tried lathams but they don't have cutting on site and they only have 18mm.

I've tried Panel Co but despite their website saying they have a cutting service and no minimum for free delivery, apparently they don't cut and won't deliver to residential...

A few others I've found are in the home counties area and won't deliver to Bristol.

i've seen mention of Richard Russell and Edens on this site but at the moment there's no info on these guy's websites. I'll try calling them in the morning but don't have much faith it'll come up trumps.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this or perhaps a suitable easy to find replacement?

FWIW I'm hoping to make a campervan interior (well I say me but I mean a skilled friend!)

thanks

Sponsored Links
I've tried lathams but they don't have cutting on site and they only have 18mm.

I've tried Panel Co but despite their website saying they have a cutting service and no minimum for free delivery, apparently they don't cut and won't deliver to residential...

A few others I've found are in the home counties area and won't deliver to Bristol.
You've hit the same problems that other DIYers hit when they're attempting to deal with trade distributors. My experience of buying from such firms is that in most cases they normally won't cut materials - after all trade customers generally have the breaking down equipment required and aren't prepared to pay a premium for that - they do impose a minimum order value (often £150 to £250 nowadays) and that they naturally won't deliver to domestic addresses - 16 or 24 tonne curtain siders don't really mix well with housing estate roads, traffic, etc. and the jumbo sheets this stuff is made in (3000mm x 2000mm) are a 2 or 3 man job to unload (and many drivers won't assist - that's your problem). They also tend to have a delivery range of 30 to 50 miles, which with the cost of diesel is hardly surprising. I think, therefore, that you are going to struggle with the trade suppliers.

I also think that you'll hit the same wall with Egger's competitors - which include Kronospan, Caberdecor, Sonae, Finsa and Depalor (to name a few - the first 3 certainly manufacture in the UK). Simply put 18mm MFC is a common requirement for kitchens and domestic furniture - 15mm seems to be restricted to a very small part of the kitchen and caravan fitting trade as many firms have moved over onto 18mm (that's why the 15mm is listed in a much smaller selection of finishes). As the caravan trade seems to be mainly centred on Hull and you're in Bristol you might want to think about contacting Egger in Hexham directly. They should be able to tell you if any of their distributors in your part of the world take 15mm MFC.

Having found someone who has got the stock you may need to pay them to take it to a joiners shop where it can be broken down into manageable sizes from the jumbos before you collect it. Failing that you might consider turning up with a van/estate car, some trestles (4 or 6), some scaffolding boards, a straight edge or chalk line and a cordless saw then breaking down into manageable sizes on the merchant's car park - I've done that more than a few times when buying single sheets.

There are a couple of alternatives. In the north of England we have HPP (Hills Panel Products) an Egger stockist supplying the kitchen trade who will cut to size for you. Similarly in Leeds there's Lawcris and Peter Benson in Darwen both of whom will break-down stock and also CNC machine components for you (although the CAD.CAM costs can be a bugger unless you can do a lot yourself). Once again Egger might know of a supplier in your area offering these services. You'll still have to collect your order, though

Sorry if this isn't helpful, but I'm trying to explain the differences between dealing with trade distributors who normally look to delivering to trade customers and the local DIY shed. If you understand those differences it might help you find a supplier

Richard Russel (my local) and Edens/Meyers don't cut and will likely only get 8mm and 18mm

The 15mm stuff is usually resurved for the mass produced cheap flatpack makers who buy full pallets. So you will be hard pushed to get a pack split.

J

PS try asking for less than 14000mm may also help :D

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for your replies, great detail JobandKnock and makes a lot of sense. Thing that bothers me is when they offer the cutting service on the website and then say they don't even without knowing I'm not trade!

Anyway, hopefully found a solution...Avon Plywood have said they will order my requirements and cut it so happy days (fingers crossed).
Cheers
Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back