Where to find specific regs for garden building?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I apologise in advance that this post is likely to sound like I am being lazy! However, I've genuinely spent a good couple of hours looking on the internet (including local council site) and have come up short. I am just trying to find accurate details of the specification I need to meet for a garden building that I am planning.

I am looking to build a free standing, timber garden studio at the end of my garden to be a games room. There will be no sleeping/living facilities. The dimensions are likely to be 10x6m and the roof will be 2.5m at highest point. The back wall of the building will be 1m from the rear boundary of my garden.

My understanding is that this building falls within permitted development and therefore I won't require planning permission. However, due to the size exceeding 30m Sq, I will need it to conform to building regulations.

The problem I am having is that I am struggling to find much information about what exactly these regs are!? I believe there is a minimum thermal efficiency that I need to meet, which I don't expect to be a problem as I am intending to build using SIPs and uPVC windows doors. I also understand that electrics will need to be signed off etc.

What I am particularly interested in at this stage, and can't seem to find info on, is any requirements with regards to base/foundations. I am intending to build on a concrete pad, but I don't know whether there are any requirements in this regard in terms of depth, or even if footings are required?

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Everything is in the Approved Documents, you just need to decide what bits apply to whatever use you are going to put the building to, rather than the type of building.

Generally for garden buildings it will be structure to make sure it wont fall down and fire safety to make sure fire wont spread. But then when you inculde use of the building, unless its a store or a basic workshop, then that will bring in protection from damp, weatherproofing, thermal/sound insulation, sanitation etc. The more you will be occuping the building the more regulations you will need to comply with.

The requirements for foundations is simple - they must be suitable for the building. So you choose between normal strip fundations or as its a lightweight building you could use a combined raft which may be the floor too. Unfortunatly you wont find actual designs, only guidance as to what may be acceptible. Ground conditions and nearby trees or shrubs will affect what foundation design will be acceptable.

That's great and really helpful, Woody - thank you! So by the sound of it, the best thing is probably to just get the ball rolling with my LA and go from there. But at least it sounds like there hopefully won't be any nasty surprises!

Another thing to bear in mind- the approved documents will tell you what is acceptable in terms of insulation, structural integrity, air circulation etc. but some of the stuff is the minimum required rather than what will give you a safe comfortable space.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply - and yes, that is a good point. And I do want to exceed the minimum requirement for insulation for instance, as I want to be able to use the room all year round including the winter months, and don't want to be spending a fortune on electric to heat it!

Just a question about the "approved documents" you refer to. What are these exactly? Are these specific to my LA, or can I view them somewhere?

TIA

Technical guidance for complying with building regs. The wording of the actual legislation is brief and not very informative, the Approved Documents give constrution details that if followed will be deemed to comply with the Regulations. They're all here https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200135/approved_documents for England and Wales, not sure about Scotland

Why build it from SIPs? - that's likely to be expensive. Why not just a normal timber frame?

Why build it from SIPs? - that's likely to be expensive. Why not just a normal timber frame?

That is a good question! The main purpose of the room would be for a snooker table and it is important that the room doesn't get too cold and damp. I must admit I was originally planning a timber frame with OSB panels, and cladding to the outside, with some sort of insulation, and then plasterboard inside. But from what I've researched it looks like SIPs would work well for providing the structure and pretty good insulation in one?

But this is only based on what I've read and been told! I am very much open to other suggestions and any advice would be very gratefully received.

SIPS are just timber frame panels made in a factory. Nothing special.

Also bear in mind that insulation only keeps heat in for longer. It does not make a room magically warm by itself. Unheated, the room will be as cold as the external air, and lightweight buildings will always lose heat very quickly once the heat is turned off - ie very quick temperature extremes.

SIPS are just timber frame panels made in a factory. Nothing special.
A bit more involved than that - they have panels bonded to the rigid insulation, and the systems are too rigid (design-wise).
Much easier to do a conventional timber frame IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back