Where's the water coming from? (UPVC windows)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have triple glazing in our house, which was installed before we moved in, however, it's still covered under the installer's warranty. That said their after-sales service isn't brilliant.

A couple of months ago, we noticed water pooling on the internal cill, and with the installers not being able to make it up for a couple of months, I put duct tape around the join between the window and the frame. The windows open inward, and I applied duct tape to the exterior. However, this made no difference to water coming in.

Eventually, the installers did send someone round, who replaced both gaskets (shown on the attached photos) and checked the drainage channel, so we thought that that would be the end of it.

Nope. A few days later, we noticed the pooling again, so somehow, it would seem that water has passed through one gasket, skipped the drainage channel and passed through the second gasket. I've had a look, and the drainage channel is dry. So I'm at a loss as to where the water is coming from. Could anyone advise please?

Attachments

• P1030459.JPG
    P1030459.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 286
  • P1030461.JPG
    P1030461.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have a look to make sure the sash is drained properly. It should be drained at the top and bottom. This allows the water to come through to the drainage in the frame

Is it definetly coming in where the pooling is, as water will run to the lowest point , could well be coming in elswhere. Also I take it that the water is there when the window is fully closed? Does it just happen in strong wind and rain?

You could try taping toilet roll or paper to possible places it could be coming in, if it gets eat then you could have a better idea of the source. Do you get condensation on the window? Does it have drainage holes as I can't see them on the picture?

Sponsored Links
1. You have drips missing to the outside of the sash, drips will reduce the water pouring down the window and into the profile
2. Are there any drainage holes, can't see any?!

Hi, sorry for the delay, and thanks for the replies. I opened the window, wiped all the water on the inner seal away, and put a bit of pressure on the window when closing it, and there seems to be little leaking, however, the area immediately under the window, on the inside does get quite a bit of condensation, which I'm sure it didn't in the past.

There are a number of draining holes in the channel that sits beneath the window, but that channel, from what I've seen, is rarely that wet, so the drainage holes are currently redundant.

Pour some water down the drainage see if it comes out on the outside

Just did, water drains no problem. I've added another photo to try and show where the moisture is. Everywhere else is dry (external seal and drainage channels).
P1030496.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back