Which 3 Wires Out Of These 6

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some help wiring a wall light socket. The Dunelm light fitting assumes 1 earth, 1 neutral and 1 live. Please see pic.

My existing wall unit has multiple wires – please see picture:

1 sleeve (bottom – red)

1 sleeve (middle – earth red and black)

1 sleeve (top – earth and black…. There was a red but its been cut away so not usable without stripping sleeve more)

I have no idea how the wall light was wired before otherwise I would have taken a photo.

Note the wall light is part of a set of 2 (controlled by one light)…. The other wall light has the 3 standard wires of earth, red and black to be wired.

White earth, red and black do I plug into the wiring and what should I do with the excess wires - just put them in terminal blocks which don't connect to anything?

Thks

IMG-20210220-173958.jpg

IMG-20210220-171123.jpg

Sponsored Links
I don't understand the question.

You may need to shorten wires, or pull up the excess if possible, to get the wires into the fitting.

??

Which wires are you claiming don't do anything?

In the picture, I see three connector blocks on the wiring coming out of the wall. If that's right, they get connected to the light fitting.

Bad picture, but looks like blacks in one connector, reds in another connector, earths in another.

Have I got that right??

Sorry, but i'm strugglng to understand what the issue is?
There are no 'excess' wires, just a simple feed in/feed out circuit- just join live to red, neutral to black and earth to earth

Sponsored Links
If I understand you correctly... ignore the "sleeves" ie sheaths and look at how the wires are connected.

From the connector block with the red wire and black wire, run a short piece of wire to the L connection in the light fitting. That's the switched live.

From the connector block with multiple black wires, run a short piece of wire to the N connection in the light fitting. That's the neutral.

Same for the earths.

Somewhere there should be another connector block with multiple reds. Maybe in the wall. Leave it alone. That's the live loop.

Do you have a multimeter? If so we can talk you through testing to confirm.

If I understand you correctly... ignore the "sleeves" ie sheaths and look at how the wires are connected.

From the connector block with the red wire and black wire, run a short piece of wire to the L connection in the light fitting. That's the switched live.

From the connector block with multiple black wires, run a short piece of wire to the N connection in the light fitting. That's the neutral.

Same for the earths.

Somewhere there should be another connector block with multiple reds. Maybe in the wall. Leave it alone. That's the live loop.

Do you have a multimeter? If so we can talk you through testing to confirm.

No loop as such in this case, hence the single core wiring - AFAICT.

That isn't a black going in with the red - I think it's a single red sheathed in grey.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments. I am still not 100% certain on which earth to put in the light fitting or which black/red.

Here is a better picture. I don't have a multimetre. I was hoping I could try a couple of permutations with guidance from here (with all electricity switched off) and hope that one sticks as such.

REVISEDPIC.jpg

As previously mentioned other wall light switch over other side of the room has single earth, single red, single black.

You put both green and yellow earth wires to the earth terminal on the fitting.

You APPEAR to have a single red and a red from a twin cable going to a connector block, if so, these two wires go to the L of the fitting.

You APPEAR to have a black from a twin cable, and a black from a cable with the other wire cut off, if so, these two blacks go to the N of the fitting.

THIS IS ALL ASSUMING THE WIRES IN YOUR RECENT PICTURE HAVE NOT BEEN ALTERED, apart from removing the old fitting of course.

What makes you think it may be anything different to my description above? You're making me have doubts now!

Thanks everyone for their help - I feel confident enough to give it a try now - electricity off though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back