Which 50kW boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone able to recommend a good 50kW gas condensing boiler for a large house? Would prefer not to link two smaller boilers.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Usually cheaper and more efficient to have two boilers !

But why do you think that you need 50 kW ?

Do you live in a castle?

Tony

If you m,ust have a single boiler look at the Atag Q Range.

Otherwise I would recommend two boilers linked together.

As Tony asked - are you sure you need 50kW?

Yes, the house is nearly 600 sq metre floor area (some existing build and some new build) also the hot water allowance is about 10kW due to six separate bathrooms!)

Sponsored Links
Do it with hot water priority and you can reduce cylinder capacity.

Even better would be to spread the water load across two cylinders - one to 3 bathrooms.

Do it with hot water priority and you can reduce cylinder capacity.

Even better would be to spread the water load across two cylinders - one to 3 bathrooms.

There's no space to link two together or separate them in other areas of the house - it needs to be one really.

Have you used the ACV tank-in-tank cylinders before, would you recommend them over a 'normal' cylinder?

PS there are some dustbin-lid size shower heads in here and I don't want to take any chances!

ACV tank In tank are very good, personally I think your better with maybe a rinnai or Andrews type water heter and then a smaller heating boiler.

As for boilers broag Quinta, Buderus GB162, Vaillant 46/65, strebel (I have more issues with ATAG than strebel), ideal IMax, MHS.

Most of these boilers will ask for commercial installers, that's why the domestic lads will shout for 2 smaller boilers.

Atag Q51S. System boiler.
Sorted.

Don't think you will have 31 radiators though.

My guess is you don't need 50kW.

Have you done a whole house heatloss calculation?

How many people live there? Thats what creates a demand for hot water!

Rule of thumb 50 li plus 50 li per person of stored hot water.

Normally a 2 kW allowance on the boiler size for hot water heating in a typical domestic environment!

Tony

That's heat loss over 24hrs.

You've got to heatit from cold and then rapid reheat when it's bein drawn off.

Tank in tank could exceed 50kw on its own.

Atag Q51S. System boiler.
Sorted.

Don't think you will have 31 radiators though.

My guess is you don't need 50kW.

There are in fact 36 radiators and 7 towel rails. I have carried out a heat loss calc and made an allowance of 6kW for DHW

How many people live there? Thats what creates a demand for hot water!

Tony

There are 5 people living there, but 6 bedrooms (double beds), so worst case is 12 number people. It would be unusual that many people will be occupying the house but worst case scenarios need to be catered for (as always)

In that case I would expect heat loss to be close to 36 kW based on our easy assessment of 1 kW per rad.

With five people a 300 li cylinder would normally suffice.

Visitors dont always use water at same time and plenty of time during the day to reheat!

Dont forgt the CH only needs the calculated power when its -1° C outside! Thats only a few days a year!

Over sizing a boiler is very inefficient and causes on/off cycling because most boilers only have a turn down ratio of 3:1

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back