Which 90 degree bend for soil pipe through wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought this was going to be easy!

Replacing old loo and cast-iron pipes. There is a very neat ~110m hole ready for me. New, plastic pipe needs to go through wall, turn 90 degrees in order to join up with the soil stack. Just like 90% of every stack not lucky enough to have the pipe come out precisely where the stack is.

Naively bought a push-fit 90 degree bend. For that to work, I'm gonna have to smash the hole bigger to accommodate the push-fit piece - 130mm or so. This seems horrible and means there's a join in there. Oh, and it's of course 92.5 degree bend - which is pretty pointless in this scenario as it just means the pipe attached gets further away from the wall the further it goes.

What am I meant to use? I've seen solvent welds; spigots (idiotically that _still_ need a join as not being long enough to go through a wall) but they have pretty tight knuckle-bends on them.

Why isn't there a "90 degree, push fit with long spigot" made?!?

Sponsored Links
Made properly, a push fit joint will not leak unless disturbed, but agreed, the socket does make for an untidy job if the lip needs to be located within the wall. I prefer to use solvent welded fitting for that reason, makes the whole job look neater.

92.5 deg allows 2.5° if using the bend to turn from vertical to 'horizontal' as it allows for the slight fall required. In practice, when it's all connected up, it doesn't pose an issue and is hardly noticeable.

Possible the '90° with long spigot' was never made as walls are of varying thicknesses, so half the time installers would end up cutting it down to suit. We've managed with 92.5° bends for at least the last 50 years I know of. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back