Which beams are ideal for long spans?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I am new to this forum and hope to find some interaction and help here. Here is my project:

My wife and I are going to be building a cordwood shop (with an upstairs apartment) this coming spring in Montana. I have a building and carpentry background, but have never built a structure this big before.

The structure size is 35' long by 27' wide. The kicker is that we are striving to do this debt free. So, to me that means saving money wherever possible. However, I see no purpose in building an affordable structure if it means sacrificing safety or structural integrity. Here are my plans below.

Shop / garage
image.png

Upstairs apartment
image.png

I have most everything else figured out except for the beams I'll need. I will need 3 beams total..

(1) 26' & (1) 22' beams - equally dividing the length of the garage, & spanning the width.

(1) 21' beam - upstairs vaulted ceiling running lengthwise from the right exterior wall to the center wall next to the bedrooms.

My questions:
What type(s) of beams are the most affordable / attainable without sacrificing structural integrity?

What are the optimal dimensions and type(s) of wood that would be best for my application?

Additional note: I am not opposed to using full logs. I also have an Alaskan saw mill, so I am able to mill whatever dimensions I need.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    494.5 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
Well, there are no building codes where I am building, so as long as you guys do things structurally sound (which I'm sure you do), then it's good enough for me. I'm open to ideas..

Am I right in thinking that you want to span over the garage area without any internal supports, but use timber to do it? They are going need to be pretty enormous sections!! It might be cheaper to use timber, but I would go with steel for beams of that size. You might get away with timber for the vaulted ceiling.

If timber you might be looking at something 20" or so deep by 18" wide. Not out of the question I guess if you can use full logs. They are some pretty serious sections though and you need to pay for a few hours' time from a local structural engineer.

Sponsored Links
Correct, I don't really want any supports under the beams. Just trying to do it balancing reality with cost. So the full timbers would probably need to be in the 18-20" diameter huh? Do you know where I can find a log beam span chart for length with load bearing capacity? I've been searching the Internet for a while and haven't really found what I'm looking for. That's why I posted on this forum. Thanks for your reply!

What about a flitched beam? That will give the appearance of timber

That's awesome! I had not even heard of these before. Do you know what the span / load / strength is for flitched beams?

A flitched beam would need to be calculated and different steel and timber sections would give different results. But it could significantly reduce the timber sizes and the weight for installation. Ronny above, may have a rough idea of possible sizes.

FYI and just to add to what the others have said, this is what a flitched beam looks like.

The steel takes most of the bending stress, and the timbers stop the thin steel buckling sideways.

Yours would need to be bigger - and calculated.
Scan0049.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back