Which Bell Box

problem may be if other items are series'd up with other tampers on the system, that means for example you take off a pir lid the bell rings.

Sponsored Links
Don't think its going to be that complex.

Was a simple siren I removed from the old box with a tamper switch and strobe.

The green was linked with the black at the siren
The white was linked with the red at the siren
The blue and the yellow were each side of a micro switch for tamper
The strobe wires were blue and purple but broke away so I don't know what part of the block connector they were in.

With pyronix I think the red & black are correct
Not sure about both yellow and blue going to tamper

Under a normal install would you just have one tamper wire ?

How would you suggest I go about identifying which wires go back to what in the panel ?

a normal bell has the following 1x 12v+ 1x 0v 1x bell trip (-) 1 x tamper return wire (0v) when closed 1x strobe trip 0v. looks like yours has had the tamper linked to the normal tamper input.

So I need to identify out of the blue and yellow which were either side of the tamper switch in the old bell box which has 0v on when closed as at the moment I have 2 tamper wires and a link to 0V

Will give it a go tomoz, whats your thoughts?

Failing that I intend to remove all wires from panel attach to flex and run up to bell box to see which and bell out with red,black,blue,yellow,green and white so I know which colours cores have been patched across. Long winded but the only way I can think of which is less intrusive than stripping up floor boards :?:

Sponsored Links
2 options find the junction box or rewire to panel not ideal but if you find junction box wire in the bell 12+ and the 0v with detector 12+ and 0v and use the orange and brown for bell trip and tamper return.

No chance of finding j box she would kill me. Brand new fitted carpets upstairs that's why I was going to connect the pairs and run the cable with connected pairs up the ladder to the bell box to meter out. That way I'm hoping to find out what colours in the bell box = which colours at the panel end :D

Just another thought I've had but maybe getting a little confused now with too much thinking. :!:

With the old box being an analogue siren with a plus and neg for the bell and tamper switch.

On the newer digital boxes such as I'm fitting have a common live or neg and therefore back at the panel end should I just have the one wire in bell + & nothing in bell-
Or his my head beginning to buckle now :rolleyes:

Uploaded image of Panel above

Panel
Bell + >>>>orange
Bell - >>>>brown
13v + >>>>Red
13v - >>>>Black
Tamp >>>>Yellow
Tamp >>>>Blue
You can also see links from Bell- & 13V to autodialler.

I have now done continuity tests with wires at the bell box and no wonder I ran into problems as they dont concur with the colours at the panel end.

Findings

Panel wire Orange (Bell+)
Has continuity with both Red wire and White wire in Bell Box

Panel wire Brown (Bell-)
Has continuity with both Black wire and Green Wire in Bell Box

Panel wire Yellow (Tamp)
Has continuity with Yellow wire in Bell Box only

Panel wire Blue (Tamp)
Has continuity with Blue wire in Bell Box only

Panel wire Red (13V+)
No continuity with any core in Bell Box

Panel wire Black (13v-)
No continuity with any core in Bell Box

I had taken the red and black as 13v +/- at the bell box when they were actually bell +/- :oops:

hope you can now work out what colour i need to connect where in the bell box from this

[/b]

remove tamper wires in panel and link out.remove link from scb put blue in A in scb and yellow in T. at bell box put A in 0v and yellow in tamper, orange is 12v + at bell and brown is your bell trip at bell and link this to strobe - dont forget to link 0v to tamper in bell box. this should work BUT as i said before the device tampers are probably linked in the junction box this means if you take a lid off a detector the bell may ring.

Kudos Sparkymarka

Wow what a great help you have been with this one!! 🍺🍺

I thought I could solve most problems but I was struggling with that one without your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back