Which Bioler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a 14 year old back boiler and am thinking of upgrading. It,s a small 2 bedroom end terrace and I am planning a loft conversion To give third bedroom. The electric shower is an internal pump type which is cold water tank fed. Which type and make of boiler would be best suited and could I still keep a small water tank to feed the shower?

Sponsored Links
The easiest option would be to swap your back boiler with an 'A' rated condensing back boiler Baxi make one now. Details here. Apart from a condensate drain all other pipework if it's in good condition and suitably installed & sized can remain as it is. I assume you have thermostatic controls for the heating & hot water.

However, if the header tank feeding the back boiler is in the loft, it may not have sufficient height above any new radiators you may install in your loft conversion. If so you may have to go down the sealed pressurised system route, which is not quite so easy with a back boiler. Wall mounting boilers can be supplied with the necessary extra components built in.

Alternatively consider a wall mounting combi they produce mains pressure hot water fed diretly to the taps, so you wouldn't need the shower pump or a hot water cylinder. So the extra space taken by the hot water cylinder cound be turned to other uses. Of course this would involve more work and cost but may give you the best long term solution.

As for which type of boiler to buy, all installers have their personal favourites, and will give different recomendations, but as with most things, you get what you pay for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back