Which boiler should I buy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this question has probably been posted 1000x times before, but here goes....

I have a 4 bed, 2 bathroom detached house with an old Ideal Mexico floorstanding gas boiler and gravity fed system. (Which is 33 years old and still working fine!) and 14 radiatiors.

I’d like to modernise so thinking about replacement. Trouble is I’m not sure which route to go.....

1. Straight replacement with wall hung gravity fed boiler in same location

2. Change to combi boiler (probably relocate to airing cupboard)

The combi only being good for 1x hot outlet at a time is not really a big issue for us and I do like the idea of a bit more pressure in the showers (will avoid having to get a shower pump in with option 1). Space saving in loft not that big a benefit either.

What’s the advice to modernise - stick with a traditional conventional boiler or switch to a combi?

Both options above for a 35kw Worcester Bosch 8000 Life are coming in at broadly the same price.

Thanks in advance

Rich

Sponsored Links
Whatever boiler you want, Intergas is certainly a great option especially if you are considering to pay the mental price of a Wooshitter Botch Life.

I would also recommend that you keep the hot water cylinder option if you can and change to a mains unvented cylinder, unless you need the space back.

Will depend on your incoming water mains supply, a combi might not be suitable for your needs, regardless of any option that you choose dont expect any modern boiler to last as long as your mexico has

Sponsored Links
Will depend on your incoming water mains supply, a combi might not be suitable for your needs, regardless of any option that you choose dont expect any modern boiler to last as long as your mexico has

Thanks ianmcd, how would I assess that? I guess stopwatch how long it takes to fill a 1 litre jug of water? Is there a standard whereby below a certain volume per minute a combi wouldn’t work? Thanks

Thanks ianmcd, how would I assess that? I guess stopwatch how long it takes to fill a 1 litre jug of water? Is there a standard whereby below a certain volume per minute a combi wouldn’t work? Thanks
easiest way is not very technical, if your neighbours have combis then you will probably be OK, there are loads of posts on here of how you measure your incoming water rates, a combi will slightly reduce the natural flow rate from the incoming main , but cant in any way increase it, when you are getting quotes ask those quoting to specify what your flow rate is, if they cant then get someone else

easiest way is not very technical, if your neighbours have combis then you will probably be OK, there are loads of posts on here of how you measure your incoming water rates, a combi will slightly reduce the natural flow rate from the incoming main , but cant in any way increase it, when you are getting quotes ask those quoting to specify what your flow rate is, if they cant then get someone else

Most of neighbours have just replaced like-for-like with a gravity fed system, but I’m in a very residential area and no particular issue with water pressure, but will take your advice and ask the guys who quote.
Assuming both route work, do you have a particular preference - combi vs gravity fed? Space saving and 1-hot water outlet at a time not particularly important to me, so more down to the technical setup of the systems e.g reliability, maintenance, longevity, performance

Most of neighbours have just replaced like-for-like with a gravity fed system, but I’m in a very residential area and no particular issue with water pressure, but will take your advice and ask the guys who quote.
Assuming both route work, do you have a particular preference - combi vs gravity fed? Space saving and 1-hot water outlet at a time not particularly important to me, so more down to the technical setup of the systems e.g reliability, maintenance, longevity, performance
Most modern combis and heat only boilers are exactly the same boilers just the hydro section removed, the heat engines are all the same, I like Atag and Vokera but ask 10 engineers and you will get 10 different answers

A few people have now mentioned intergas......what makes these boilers so good?

Yes Intergas are good, but depends where you live to be honest, I am in Scotland and it is all about back up and availability of spares, I like their boilers but getting spares off the shelf has to be a consideration for me

Solid build quality with only 4 moving parts (2 if you have the heat only). No secondary heat exchanger, no diverter valve, no air pressure switch, no complicated hydro block, and no plastic or rubber - all waterways are copper, surrounded by an innovative injection-moulded aluminium heat exchanger which was originally designed over 25 years ago. Some examples of that original design are still in service today and doing very well. Look at your supposedly "premium" brands and how much plastic and rubber is now used, in the drive to make them lighter weight and cheaper to make.

Intergas are compatible with the most energy-saving OpenTherm controls, which work using two-way communication to achieve best efficiency for your boiler. Again, the "premium" makes don't do this - they insist you buy their own ultra-expensive BUS controls to achieve the same level of energy efficiency, at a cost of hundreds of pounds. An OpenTherm control for a combi can be had for as little as £55.

Compact design which sits just 240mm off the wall, saving you space over others which can be as much as 370mm deep.

Is parts availability an issue? With a 10 year warranty, not at the moment, and there are stockists around the UK who can supply parts if required.

It's my boiler of choice, and 95% of my installs are Intergas. I genuinely don't think there's anything better out there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back