Should I change to a combi boiler?

Some modern boilers will have issues trying to heat a very old cylinder containing an inefficient calorifier (the coil of pipework inside to transfer boiler heat energy to the domestic water).
The boiler can't dissipate sufficient heat energy and can spend most of its time sitting in an anti cycle loop resulting in very long cylinder re-heat times.
Modern cylinders (especially unvented) have much more efficient calorifiers and a 30 min re-heat or even less is achievable.

Sponsored Links
Why would the electric go off...99.9999999% of boilers failing is not due to the power station failing.
Perhaps if you repaired boilers day in....
I do!....Combi boilers do not break down often!.....not the ones I fix anyway....The ones you sort seem veryyyyy unreliable....Oh dear!

Hi, looking to replace 30 year old boiler (standard gravity fed system).

I have just learned that replacing like-for-like will require an upgrade to a pumped system to comply with new regulations so I can control heating and hot water separately.

From the quotes I have, this upgrade makes the like-for-like replacement significantly more expensive than just switching to a combi boiler and getting it relocated to the airing cupboard at the same time (would be quite desirable).

I hadn’t intended on switching to a combi, but this seems the better solution (practically and financially) all round.

Any experts able to give me the confidence to go for it? I’m a bit nervous about making the leap!

Thanks
Rich
If you are a couple...small family..1 bathroom...fit a combi ..End of.

Why would the electric go off...99.9999999% of boilers failing is not due to the power station failing.
Perhaps if you repaired boilers day in....
Your stats are utter bolony too....No where near enough combis, time .breakdowns etc to prove to that accuracy....

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Much to think about.
In summary, looks like I need to decide between:
Stick with gravity fed replacement and be able to have 2 showers at same time, but have to upgrade to pumped system and all new controls at a cost of just under £1000 vs....
save significant money avoiding upgrading to a pumped system with all new controls, but accepting a combi set up.

Essentially, I’m paying £1000 to be able to have multiple baths/showers.

Changing the cylinder to unvented, would be a nice addition to the gravity fed replacement set up, but will incur yet more cost.

I guess pros/cons with both systems, but on balance of cost vs functionality looks like the combi wins.

Hi, looking to replace 30 year old boiler (standard gravity fed system).

I have just learned that replacing like-for-like will require an upgrade to a pumped system to comply with new regulations so I can control heating and hot water separately.

From the quotes I have, this upgrade makes the like-for-like replacement significantly more expensive than just switching to a combi boiler and getting it relocated to the airing cupboard at the same time (would be quite desirable).

I hadn’t intended on switching to a combi, but this seems the better solution (practically and financially) all round.

Any experts able to give me the confidence to go for it? I’m a bit nervous about making the leap!

Thanks
Rich
If you are a couple...small family..1 bathroom...fit a combi ..End of.

We have a detached 4-bed. 1x bath with over shower. 1x en-suite with shower.

I don’t think that’s too important. 5 of us in the house (3x kids). We either take showers in turn but with constant supply of hot water, or we have capability to run two showers at once but run out of hot water quickly!
Probably better option would be to organise ourselves so that we didnt all want to shower at exactly the same time

My new cylinder heats up quicker than the old one it replaced and it’s much better insulated - gives off no warmth at all and we have to now rely on the heat from the pipes in the airing cupboard to air the clothes. Why not go heat only boiler in a sealed system with an unvented hot water cylinder and an immersion backup?

Keep system open vented if possible. Intergas boiler will work as open vented.

Cylinders now have fast heat up times as coil is massive for fast heat up, lagging is thick so losses from cylinder are low

Keep system open vented if possible.
The OP expressed an interest in a more powerful shower. He won’t get any more pressure with an open vented system which is why I suggested unvented.

The OP expressed an interest in a more powerful shower. He won’t get any more pressure with an open vented system which is why I suggested unvented.

You can have the Primary system open vented and still use an unvented cylinder. Separate systems.... ;)

You can have the Primary system open vented and still use an unvented cylinder. Separate systems.... ;)
I’ll take your word on that as I haven’t a fecking clue what that means! :LOL:
Edit. Yep, I know what you mean now.

Open vented for the boiler, not the cylinder

Keep system open vented if possible.
Isn't the only advantage of open-vented that the radiator circuit pressure will be lower, so is less likely to leak immediately if it's on its last legs? Otherwise, if the pipes and radiators are in OK condition, why would anybody want to stay open-vented?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back