Which boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Im about to get a couple of quotes for the instalation of a new Combi Boiler. When I meet the plumbers I would like to know what they and I are talking about in terms of which brand, model and thermostat to go for in order to get best value for money. I have looked in the Wiki section and have found the definitions useful but not been able to find the answer to my queries so here goes..........

1 - Its a 3 bedroom single bathroom house. I am looking at either a Worcester Greenstar 28i Junior or a Vaillant Ecotec 28 Pro. Does anyone know of any reason why I should not get one of these and can anyone recommend one over the other?

2 - Im looking at base model boilers as I just want to keep things simple, low cost and have less gizmos to go wrong. I have noticed from the manufacturers websites that both these boilers are compatable with Room Stats / Programers. My question is can they be used with out as a stand alone unit? If so does this present any implications?

3 - Can anyone recommend the best place to order one of these? I hear plumbnation and discountedheating are good websites. A local plumber has recommended heating direct 24 yet I can not find them on google - any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Think youve answered your own question.

A local plumber has recommended heating direct 24

Why bother wasting time asking on here, ask your plumber, sure he wont bite.

1 - Its a 3 bedroom single bathroom house. I am looking at either a Worcester Greenstar 28i Junior or a Vaillant Ecotec 28 Pro. Does anyone know of any reason why I should not get one of these and can anyone recommend one over the other?

2 - Im looking at base model boilers as I just want to keep things simple, low cost and have less gizmos to go wrong. I have noticed from the manufacturers websites that both these boilers are compatable with Room Stats / Programers. My question is can they be used with out as a stand alone unit? If so does this present any implications?

3 - Can anyone recommend the best place to order one of these? I hear plumbnation and discountedheating are good websites. A local plumber has recommended heating direct 24 yet I can not find them on google - any ideas?

1) I'd stay with Vaillant, but thats personal pref.
2) Yes, but why spend that money and not then control it?
3) Be aware, your get a lower class of installer if you supply the gear, as the money to be earned is less, also your be responsible for it if it fails and has been installed as per manufacture.

As Gremlin says, talk it through with your 3 visitors, also you need to find someone who is on your wavelength, no point getting the cheapest who will be the most hassle. Remember your paying for a professional trade.

The "Which Combi Is Best" topic has been done to death on this forum, go do a search

Sponsored Links
I would also recommend that you fully search for advice on NOT buying the boiler yourself.

You seem to think you know what you are doing! But doing that will run serious risks of creating problems for you.

I have alrady identified you as someone I would not be doing an installation for on that basis!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back