which boiler ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I may soon need a new boiler. I currently have a Halstead and also an emersion heater, which has proved useful for hot water when the boiler has failed.

Don't know whether to ditch the emersion and go for a combi or get an ordinary central heating boiler and keep the emersion - any advice ?

Also, which boilers perform best and are most reliable (either combi or not). I have a three bed house, one bathroom, 3 double radiators and 5 single radiators, average size.

My plumber recommends a Worcester but after looking at the forum page there seems to be a few problems with them.

Sponsored Links
This is a post that could have literally hundreds of answers because everyone will have their own views. For what it's worth heres mine.

Renew your whole system with a reliable condensing system boiler and a high recovery hot water cylinder. This will ensure that you still have that emergency immersion back-up. In my opinion you could do worse than the Glowworm Sxi range.

If you want to go down the combi route then I would have to recommend Vaillant boilers because they're the ones i've had least problems with and they're on a par price-wise with worcester.

Worcester do produce some very good boilers and there was a time that I couldn't see past them. Like every manufacturer in this industry all it takes is one bad boiler or even a bad component to change every-ones mind.

thanks for that. I'll check them out.

Pity I can't spell 'immersion' !!

Anybody else got any experience of reliant boilers ?

Sponsored Links
as previously said, all installers have their favourites, but in my opinion, for a property of your size, a combi will adequately fulfill your needs.And cost less to install than a new system boiler and cylinder upgrade.

With regard to vaillant, yes they are a good product, but when they go wrong they go wrong. I believe the modern vaillant is grocely overdesigned in the pursuit of the 100% efficient holy grail.

Fit a baxi105he combi, excellent hot water output, easy to repair, and in my opinion, the most reliable boiler of late.

Thanks themaster ;)

Don't know whether to ditch the emersion and go for a combi or get an ordinary central heating boiler and keep the emersion - any advice ?
if a combi suits your lifestyle go for it

if not stick wiv wot you have and upgrade it

before you ask yes i have a combi suits me ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back